Cap for Sewer Cleanout Standpipe

Users who are viewing this thread

leepj

Reaction score
I just replaced the standpipe in the front yard, and now it needs to be capped off. It is the "standard" 4" pipe, plastic. I've seen the type that is glued into the pipe, with a screw-in cap. The cap has a square knob on the top for a wrench. Is this the proper type to use, or should it be a metal cap?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Plastic plugs are just fine.

Attachments

• Picture6.jpg
    Picture6.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 57,572

psolutions

Reaction score
Sewer Cleanout

As suggested above the cap would be best recessed to for obvious reasons.
However, also consider that many counties are now requiring brass caps.

The reason is so they can be located if they become buried or non-visible. If its not new construction you can get away with plastic, but if its low to the ground or may become buried you might want to consider brass cap for easy locating in future.

leepj

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers!

I like the look of the solution in the picture. It should be perfect for me, as the cleanout comes up in my front garden, therefore no lawn mower complications! Also I can easily control the height, so burying will not happen. I am reluctant to do anything that is metal, because it eventually corrodes and cannot be opened. I have a brass cleanout inside the house in the basement floor that was buried in the cement floor for 34 years until I finally found it. Now it cannot be opened. If that happened inside, I can just imagine what an outside cap would do.

Thanks again for this. I will buy the parts today!

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I like the look of the solution in the picture. It should be perfect for me, as the cleanout comes up in my front garden, therefore no lawn mower complications! Also I can easily control the height, so burying will not happen. I am reluctant to do anything that is metal, because it eventually corrodes and cannot be opened. I have a brass cleanout inside the house in the basement floor that was buried in the cement floor for 34 years until I finally found it. Now it cannot be opened. If that happened inside, I can just imagine what an outside cap would do.

Thanks again for this. I will buy the parts today!

use a good Teflon pipe dope on the threads, even if you use plastic. Brass plugs can be easily removed with a hammer and a chisel. When I replace them I put plenty of Teflon pipe dope on the threads of the new plug to ease removal in the future.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
For those that have clean outs in the lawn here is a picture of a slotted plug that HJ referenced to in his post.

Attachments

• slotted_plug.jpg
    slotted_plug.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 5,661
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks