Tile to floor on tub surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sting88

Reaction score
Two questions:

1] should I run the tile of my tub surround down the edge of the tub right to the floor? Or just stop at the tub edge? Is there a right/wrong with this?

2] And what about the top... should I go right to the ceiling? I was going to stop about 1 foot from the ceiling, just above the showerhead and leave a 1 foot band that would simply be painted.

Lance

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the time, it works better to tile to the floor, since there will often be a few drips here and there and tile handles it better.

Tiling above the showerhead is a matter of preference. I tiled to the ceiling (and some actually tile the ceiling, too). Not because it is the right thing to do, but because I liked it in my situation. If your ceiling isn't level, it can be a pain. In my case, I was using granite tile, and made my own cove molding from 2" strips, with a back-bevel 45-degree. Since the tile was installed on the diagonal, it easily hides the height differences in my ceiling.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Have you posted pics of the work you did, Jim¿ If not, lets check it out! Your time to shine... :)

When there are steamers they will tile the whole shower. Top to bottom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks