Oatey's Moss Bay Replacement Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

USAFRet

Reaction score
I removed the rusted metal ring from the toilet flange in my bathroom and had planned to replace it with the Moss Bay stainless steel ring. Getting ready to install it though, I don't believe it will work properly in my case. The old ring was made with an integral collar that wrapped around the pvc pipe portion of the flange and provided solid support. (The flange is 4" with a 1/2" lip on the top that in turn, sat on top of the metal ring.) The inside edge of the Moss Bay replacement will slide under the lip of the flat top portion of the pvc, but only about 1/8 inch. Old posts on this forum say that edge is designed to slide into a ridge on the pvc where the old ring rode. Since mine was not designed that way, the Moss Bay replacement does not appear to be compatible. I would need a replacement ring with about 1/2 inch rim to reach all the way under the lip and sit against the pipe. I certainly would appreciate any suggestions and recommendations. Thanks in advance for your help!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Have you removed the old steel ring entirely from the flange?
You need to do that to use the Moss Bay replacement flange.

USAFRet

Reaction score
Yes the old ring is completely removed. The "problem" is that the Moss Bay ring is designed to fit into a groove that my flange doesn't have. If you picture a side-ways looking cross-section of the flange, it would be "T"-shaped. On the type that the Moss Bay fits, the top of the "T" is about 3/8 inch thick and the groove runs around the perimeter. Unfortunately, on mine, the top of the "T" is much thinner-probably 1/16". The old, rusted metal ring attached to the vertical portion of the "T" with a collar that was all one piece with the rest of the ring. I believe what I now need is either a flat ring that will slide all the way under the top of the "T" or perhaps I can made a spacer with some thin stainless steel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks