Warranties

Users who are viewing this thread

gfors7

Reaction score
I need to pick some brains. I have a potential upcoming job that I have bid on and the customer is asking for what I feel are insane warranties on my behalf, and I am wondering if anyone has come up against this before. The total bid with labor and fixtures will net me about 25k to 30k. The customer is asking me to warranty as follows: Labor = 5 years, Fixtures= 10 years. Please give me feedback.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They are clearly crazy!
But It could be interesting selling such a warrantee...

Try AON home warrantee...
It's about as good as nothing....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Olyplumber.
Are you bidding against yourself?

Most plumbers give one year warranties.

The trouble with a longer warranty, is that sometimes the fixtures are removed when new floors are installed, and the flooring contractor will reset the fixtures. Often, the original plumber is blamed, even though he didn't do the work on the reset.

Too much can happen after the first year.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Regardless of the fixture warrantee, I stick with one year on the labor. This is very common and you can site the fact that most major appliances have the same policy ... some labor is even less than 1 year.

It is a sign of the times ... it doesn't hurt to ask ... but I think it is risky for you to go along with it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Give them a concrete warranty, once your tires hit the concrete of the road their warranty ends.

Or offer them a lifetime warranty. When they call you on it just tell them Well it lasted its lifetime. Its time for new stuffs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
warranty

Here, the contractor's licensing board requires a 2 year warranty for residential work. If I were confident of my installation, I might go with the 5 year labor, but NEVER anything other than the manufacturer's warranty for fixtures. And then the terms of what constitutes a failure under the warranty would have to be spelled out ahead of time, and ONLY the things specified would be covered. There would have to be a "premium" added to the contract to cover the extended warranty, and it should be substantial.

psolutions

Reaction score
Plumbing Warranty

We do 1-year labor on all service and 2-years new construction (required in my area).

On fixtures i supply through my supplier i will warranty the fixture for up to the manufactures warranty but my labor warranty ends after the 1-2 years. If they supply the fixture there is no warranty.

Can you see someone special ordering something off the web or via retail store and then calling you 3 years from now? I would highly recommend only warrantying fixtures supplied by yourself. This way you can get replacements or replacement parts from your dedicated supplier for free up to the end of the manufacturers warranty and you are not out of pocket on materials for this.

I think 1-year is very standard in the plumbing industry, 2 is common in new construction as well.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The total bid with labor and fixtures will net me about 25k to 30k. The customer is asking me to warranty as follows: Labor = 5 years, Fixtures= 10 years.
If there is a 10% chance that the whole $30k worth will have to be replaced within the warranty period then the cost of this warranty should be (10%/100) x 30k = $3k.

30% chance? $9 kilobucks.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Give the man the warranty

if the guy wants the warranty, GIVE IT TO HIM

their is no guarantee that you will be in business or
even be ALIVE for that matter in 10 years....

Stick him real extra deep,

tack on and add an extra 10k - 15k to the job..

their is no guarantee that he will be alive in 5 years
for that matter......

make the warranty NOT TRANSFERRABLE to anyone
else down the line , its only for the original owner

I am selling life time warranties NON transferrable
water heaters and chargeing about 500 more than my normal price...

I dont get many takers, but the ones that do take me
up on it usually move before even 10 years are up

As long as your contract stipulates that you will cover only
NORMAL wear and tear, and not changes or tampering with the system, you are good

Last edited:

3m

Reaction score
I had a homeowner ask me to guarantee the concrete drive we poured and I gave him one. I guaranteed him that it would crack and hopefully in a control joint and then explained to him the problems with guarantees, I dont have complete control over the situation so how could I quarantee that a big truck wouldnt drive over it and break it, and as we all know concrete will break

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep, just like the day I got married, I guaranteed my husband I wasn't perfect, and we were imperfectly, happily married for 24 years. :p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks