Main Disconnect Seperate from panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
When you have an outdoor main disconnect; and the main panel is separate from that (indoors), is the main panel treated as a subpanel as far as neutral/ground bonding?

Where in the NEC do I find this?

Just looking for a quick answer. I was asked this, and I don't know the answer.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Yes, the panel would be treated as a "sub-panel" with the neutral not bonded.

Here is the NEC section:

250.24(A)(5)Load-Side Grounding Connections. A grounded conductor shall not be connected to normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment, to equipment grounding conductor(s), or be reconnected to ground on the load side of the service disconnecting means except as otherwise permitted in this article.

Nate R

Reaction score
Thanks! My brother is a home inspector. He's doing a pre-sale inspection for the seller to be able to show buyers, and to tell the sellers what may come up and be an issue, etc. He asked me about this, but I wasn't sure.

And thanks for the code section for the quote! :D

VinceS

Reaction score
That's the problem with home inspectors!

"Thanks! My brother is a home inspector. He's doing a pre-sale inspection for the seller to be able to show buyers, and to tell the sellers what may come up and be an issue, etc. He asked me about this, but I wasn't sure."

Nate R, I realize it was your brother who asked the question, but doesn't that strike you as being a major problem? Your brother is a home inspector and he doesn't know the answer to that question? Unfortunately I've used home inspectors on at least two home purchases, and although they had slick marketing and reports they simply did not know what they were talking about. Unfortunately your brother seems to be in the wrong line of work...that is if he cares about providing a valuable service to his customers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
inspector

At least he knew enough to ask the question. Most would not bother with it unless it was something that hit them between the eyes with a 2x4.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
At least he knew enough to ask the question. Most would not bother with it unless it was something that hit them between the eyes with a 2x4.

Ain't that the truth!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks