Water softener discharge line

Users who are viewing this thread

uuu1234

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to install a water softener in my garage, which apparently is pre plumbed for supply line, but not drain line.

The fact that a toilet and a sink right above the water heater at second floor and a clean out on the opposite wall outside tell me there is a drain pipe in the wall. Unfortunatelly look like the pipe is right behind my water heater.

So here is my first question: Without taking out the water heater and reinstall it back, can I open up drywall and tap water softener discharge into existing drain pipe OVER WATER HEATER? It will be 6-7 ft over the floor and 3 feet over water softener itself. Since water softener drain with pressure, I believe the height shouldn't be a problem, but I don't know if it break any plumbing code.

My second question: From what I searched so far, I know I will need a p trap to tap into the line and an air gap for health concern. Do I need to worry about overflow since the dirty water can come from second floor and the pipe won't be sealed below it?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I've seen mention of earthquake straps just obviously don't see them around here. One day we may need floats though.

uuu1234

Reaction score
You do have to worry about the height of the drain. Don not go over 8 ft above the drain outlet of the softener. In your case, you will be alright. As far as tapping into the drain, you should use a "y" strainer with a pee trap and an air gap.

Thanks for your help, what about vent? for obvious reason, I don't see a easy way to install vent all the way to second floor...

uuu1234

Reaction score
Where is your clothes washing machine? If it is nearby, you can run the drain line to its standpipe.

Unfortunatelly, washer / dryer are on second floor...The closest drain I can see is the toilet drain right above water heater and the drain in my back yard, of course I may get into big trouble if I actually discharge brine water into the garden drain -> storm drain on the street...:D

uuu1234

Reaction score
Softener drain line question

Hi I guess this is more of plumbing question than water softener question....

I'm trying to plumb the drain line for water softener, I have seen houses in my neighborhood doing the way like in the picture:

drain.jpg

So I assume this is up to my local code (CA), I have some questions:

1. I don't see its vented, is it OK?

2. Will it be OK if I reduce the p trap to like 1 1/2" and reduce the height to 1/3 so it doesn't look as bulky?

3. Any other concern of using cleanout this way?

Thanks for your help!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
California plmbing code requires a true break between the softener drain and the sewer pipe. It must be no less than 1", or twice the diameter of the drain pipe. Check out this link for some great information. http://airgap.com/

gap_cap_pvc.jpg

It looks like your installer did that fairly well. In regards to the height of the standpipe, we have some great plumbers with extensive knowledge on this forum, I am sure one of them will have an answer for the height and diameter issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks