Pump Not Drawing Water

Users who are viewing this thread

Pinchbug

Reaction score
OK I have a shallow (90 - 100 ft) well for my irrigation system. I started the system up Monday and ran all the zones to check for bad sprinklers, leaks etc. I shut the system off and the pump kept kicking back on every so often to run for a few minutes. Well I figured we had a pressure switch that needed to be adjusted or something so I just unplugged the pump. Yesterday I went out to run the system and I plugged the pump up and it ran but never shut off and if I turned on the sprinkler or spicket there is no water. Any ideas?????

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
THINK.

A switch simply uses water pressure to turn on the pump and then turn off the pump.

Now you're pump was running AND you had no water... so the switch couldn't turn off the pump if it wanted to, It is a PRESSURE switch, with no water, it doesn't run on air pressure.

Now what are the possible causes of no water? Here's a big hint; I shut the system off and the pump kept kicking back on every so often to run for a few minutes.

That says the switch was working just fine no? It also says that water was going somewhere. If you weren't using it, where could it go? That means a leak, right?

When you shut off the pump, that leak caused the pump to lose prime and when you turned it on, the pump ran dry, which probably caused the impeller to melt but... without priming the pump, it can't pump water even if it was a new pump. And you changed the switch.

So, moral of the story, when something doesn't operate as usual, like a pump running when no water is used, there is a problem. Problems are just like women, if they aren't paid any attention, the PROBLEM... it don't fix itself and you end up with many more problems.... No, don't ask how I know, just think and trust me, I'm much older than you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks