Well Water Changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
I like what you said Gary. The only problem I have with trying to filter well water when it has surface water getting into it is:
In my area, there are farms all over the place. You know that, you've been here. With a well that is only 10 to 20 feet deep or with that water running down beside casing that was put in loosly with not enough (or no) grout into a good clean aquifer has all kinds of bug killers, herbicides, fertilizer and who knows what else in it. Water softeners, iron filters, ph correction filters or any other kind of filters won't even try to remove these chemicals. I am not nearly as worried about bacteria as I am the chemicals. Bacteria for the most part might give you a bad case of Montazumas revenge, but the chemicals are forever. When I see a low PH in my area here in Florida, I know it's surface water. Almost 100% of the time that's where the low PH water comes from.

When my own well went bad a few years back. We started seeing blueing in the shower. The water started tasting nasty. I checked the PH and it was 5.5 instead of in the mid to high 7's. The casing we found out later was broken at 42 feet. Surface water was pouring into the well at that point and we had no deep water anymore. So I drilled a new well and plugged the old one.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Fair enough.

Surface water intrusion is not the only way to get acidic ground water.

FL does not get near the acid rain that the NE and mid Atlantic states get and acid rain is the primary cause in those areas, but another significant source is coal mine discharge and I'm fairly sure there are few to no coal mines in FL.

So where does acidic surface water come from in FL?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I did say what my equipment would cost but I see you didn't answer anything I asked about loss of storage and recovery rate gpm with a Jaswell seal.

Those questions are what I get when I discuss "fixing" a well with a prospective customer. Do you inform your Jaswell seal prospect of those things?

Speedbump

Reaction score
So where does acidic surface water come from in FL?

I'm really not sure, but all the surface water in my area is around 5.5ph. That's why my trees out back aren't doing as good as they could because the well I use for them is 20 feet deep and has that same water. My partner has twice spread dolomite over the entire 4 acres to raise the ph of the soil. It helps for a while, then goes back to slower growing. It's one of those things where you stand back and ask yourself if the investment was worth it.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Installing a jaswell seal would not result in a loss of storage. How would a jaswell seal shorten someone's well depth??
If you seal off part of the well, how do you not seal off some of the storage of previously usable water!

Storage is the volume of water above the pump inlet that can be pumped if the pump can pump it from the depth the water level falls to.

Below you get into "potential loss of water production", that sure sounds as if it includes the volume in storage above the pump inlet but maybe you should clarify what you mean.

Gary, you don't inform anyone face to face about fixing a well because you are not a well contractor. We explain everything to our customers Gary....all the possibilities and even the potential loss of water production. Why don't you get over it already...
So now it gets back to online sales... trust me, when I'm on the phone, I say the same things I would say face to face with the person.

I don't have to be a well contractor to know that not many people willingly want to have a "loss of production". Until now and only because I don't get over it as you say, you suggested a Jaswell seal here and didn't say there could be a loss of production or anything else that Joe or others might not like about it. Why is that?

I also know that a Jeswell seal seals off some of the water in the well, which usually reduces the volume of water in storage or recovery rate water flow into the well, and in my definition of production, any of that reduces the "production" of the well.

Tell us what loss of production they might have and we can end this.

And since you are a Certified Water Treatment guy and I'm not, do you disagree with this statement; Surface water intrusion is not the only way to get acidic ground water. You shouldn't disagree because it is correct but if you do, show where or how it is incorrect.

And then I suggest you quit suggesting that low pH acidic water problems should be fixed in the well when in many cases that is not possible, and fully disclose that a Jaswell seal will cause a loss of production one way or another. Even if we don't count the reduction in the 4" dia liner compared to the 5" or 6" diameter well you are putting it in.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I asked questions based on your suggestions, and those questions are the same as any homeowner would or should ask.

You don't want to answer them and that's your choice, but that has nothing to do with me because I asked the questions.

For years I referred prospective customers, or my customer, that needed well work done to solve a problem to a large full service 3rd generation driller. The same as I do with pumps tanks and CSVs with Speedbump Bob now for about the last 4+ yrs.

The driller was into water treatment in a big way and we competed in the same area his two locations about 35 miles apart covered. I also sent him pump jobs I couldn't handle due to me not having the time to run right then or the job's difficulty. I also had an exdriller pump guy with 35 yrs experience in drilling that I sent jobs to in both pumps and water treatment and we worked together on a number of jobs.

BTW, I hope you don't get upset, I have to correct you again. What you consider a "mobile home", it is a MOTOR home, that's quite different than a mobile home but, what does what I live in, or where I live, have to do with you not answering questions about your suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks