What is this stem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
Who makes this steam and is it still available for purchase?

Attachments

• IMG_0145_smaller.jpg
    IMG_0145_smaller.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 391

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Did you find it lying there like that¿ Surely the fixture had a manufacturer printed on it. Or the stem has some tell tale letters and numbers. I would eye it suspiciously if it just showed up like that and sat there unresponsive to questioning.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'll tell you right now without looking for a replacement that this did not come out of a quality of faucet worth repairing. I would venture a guess that you will not be able to find a replacement stem. My guess it it was found in a trailer. I would recommend upgrading to a better quality faucet.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep, buy them for 6 bucks a piece or 5 if you buy the case. And yes, I do use them on mobile homes for two reasons. # 1 they are cheap and # 2 they are the only thing I have found that will mount solidly on the 8 dollar plastic sink. No point in putting a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Yugo.

Jechow

Reaction score
Yep, buy them for 6 bucks a piece or 5 if you buy the case. And yes, I do use them on mobile homes for two reasons. # 1 they are cheap and # 2 they are the only thing I have found that will mount solidly on the 8 dollar plastic sink. No point in putting a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Yugo.

Do you know the name of the manufacture of this stem?

I would like to replace my existing stem as it leaks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I get them from Compton products out of NY. But you can probably buy another faucet for the same money.

Probedude

Reaction score
Do you know the name of the manufacture of this stem?

I would like to replace my existing stem as it leaks.

Unscrew the stem from the nut - might just have an o-ring in there that you can replace and reuse the parts you have.

Use plumbing grease as lube.

Jechow

Reaction score
I discovered that the manufacture of my stem was Moen. I contacted Moen and they said that the cartridge was from a Chateau faucet that is no longer available. I was wondering if anyone knew of a shop that would have discountined Moen cartridges?

Thanks.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Moen stem double handel.In 20 yrs of repair Moen faucets this the only stem that I have ever seen.

Attachments

• _MOEN_001224_Double_Handle_Faucet_Cartridge_Kit__68774.1292495571.1280.1280.jpg
    _MOEN_001224_Double_Handle_Faucet_Cartridge_Kit__68774.1292495571.1280.1280.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
It is Moen. The Larsen part number is S-164-3... if anyone cares about this ancient thread.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; No point in putting a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a Yugo.

How about putting a RR, or Cadillac, grill on a VW bug? Somewhat popular a few years ago.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The Larsen part number is S-164-3...

I'll take your word for it, and will have to, because no matter how far back I go in the Moen parts books I find NONE which use a "splined" stem or handle.

Asktom

Reaction score
Back in the day, you could find Moen centersets in clampacks at K-Mart that used that stem. They were less pop-up, all plastic, and you could get them in many beautiful colors. At the time I wondered why Moen would put their reputation on the line with such junk. Probably cost some clever guy his job. All swept under the rug now, though. (They may also have been sold as Stanadyne.)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks