How to change from 2 wire to 4 wire furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

snuffy47

Reaction score
Hello

I have an old Newmac Wood/Oil furnace CL115B(35 years old) with a Honeywell R8239E transformer
Manual http://customer.honeywell.ca/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/60-1190.pdf

I would like to use my furnace for air circulation in the summer either in cooling mode or manual this would also aid me to run it in early winter when using the wood stove.

Looking at the honeywell diagram is it just amatter of fishing the 4 wire and connecting the extra 2 wires on the transformer?

Currently right now there are 2 wire to a digital thermo but the manul on does not work.

My biggest fear is I change something and when I start a wood fire the fans donnt come on.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is simplifying things, but basically, power comes out of the transformer on one side of the coil, then goes through various switches (often in your thermostat) to supply power to activate the desired things. These things can be: heat request, manual fan request, or a/c request. Since many (but not all) thermostats require power to operate, they usually also get a lead from the other side of the 24vac coil. So, basically, the switches in the thermostat apply power to tell the system to generate heat/cooling, or to turn the fan on manually. Usually, the switch will not allow both heat request and cooling requests to occur simultaneously. Some fancier thermostats have multiple staging for heating, and those used for heat pumps may have an additional lead.

Now, what your HVAC plant does with those signals will vary depending on the model. Not all can support all of the possible inputs. On a two-wire system, it's just like a light switch, power is on one lead, and when the thermostat switch closes, it applies it to the heating plant. For cooling or fan, it needs to branch that signal out to additional switches and wires to get back to the HVAC system.

Most heating units automatically turn the fan on when required, but you can force it to stay on, if your system supports it, and you have a remote switch (often found on the thermostat).

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wires

IF you connect those two wires to the transformer you will burn out the transformer or thermostat or maybe both. You only connect ONE wire from the transformer to the thermostat. ALL the other wires have to be connected, according to the wiring diagram, to the various devices it controls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks