Soot on burner of LP water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

sonoman

Reaction score
I have a LP (propane) water heater with White Rogers controller similar to the one recalled, but just out of range (37C72U 677, date code 0209). The controller was a replacement after the original failed.

The water heater is in a guest house I use for an office most of the time. Hot water usage is nonexistent unless we have guests staying in the guest house, so the use profile is more like an infrequently used vacation house than a full time residence. Of course, the burner cycles occasionally when not in use to keep the water at temp.

This weekend I smelled soot in the garage where the unit is located and I can see soot on the outside where soot escaped from the inspection cover by the burner. The burner is covered with heavy soot, and the flame is orange and weak. The gas (LP) is now turned off until I get this resolved. This morning when the water heater was running (I had guests using the house last weekend through this morning), I could see smoke or soot (or steam??) coming from the vent stack on the roof so it appears there is ventilation. I thought a water pinhole leak may have dripped water on to the burner, contributing to the soot, but I don't see any water in the firebox now that the gas is disconnected and the burner is off.

Soot is usually the cause of improper combustion from having a bad fuel-air mixture. The weak flame is probably due to the soot buildup making the burner inefficient, but the big question is "Why is this happening?" I cleaned the burner 2 or so years ago when I had a similar problem, blowing all the soot out with my air compressor, but it is back. Why? And how do I prevent it from happening in the future?

thanks

Bob

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Soot on l. P. Burner

Soot is kind of like mold !
Once you have it it tends to keep coming back you need to have the burner and the fire box as well as the exhaust vent all professional cleaned by a good chimney sweep type person or company

you don't want to blow !
But clean with a good H. E. P. A. Vacuum cleaner

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks