Creative solution for damaged clay sewer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Engineer Ben

In the Trades
Reaction score
My 110 year old house has two sewers. The newer is cast iron hub & spigot. The older is 6" clay. Both connect as I have determined from a hose test and tracking the line with a snake and a sensor.

One riser from the kitchen connects to a clay stub coming up through the basement floor slab. Part of the clay hub is broken (was packed with concrete to transition to galvanized). I installed a new riser from the kitchen to this hub and have temporarily stuck the riser into the inside of the clay hub and packed it with oakum and caluk.

Any bright ideas for a permanent installation? The ABS mechanical couplings which are designed for transition from clay will not work. Too much of the flange is missing nearly flush with the finished floor. I am considering boxing out (about coffee can size) a form and pouring 4" of mortar or grout as a curb to anchor the stub in place. This would give it a little more rigidity and prevent further damage to the clay.

Engineer Ben

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the thought, but the clay hub is broken at the finished floor and the 6" clay to cast/pvc banded coupling won't bite. I thought about a compression fitting that would fit inside the 6" clay and receive a a 2" or 3" riser, but I've only found these for 4" hubs.

Msgale

Reaction score
with that age plumbing, you accept some imperfections..

if the oakum/ caulk is ok, you might be satified withit as is.
i like the concrete pour idea, also.
Neither one is perfect, but unless someone has some better idea, i would acept either of you choices.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Being bound by the code and all, cement and such are not approved so I, myself would get out the jack hammer and start digging back to where I could properly make on to the pipe again.

jakhamer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Being bound by the code and all, cement and such are not approved so I, myself would get out the jack hammer and start digging back to where I could properly make on to the pipe again.

In other words, you're a plumber as opposed to a hack. Ever wonder why no one ever lists hack as an occupation? :D

No offense Ben, but your questions seem out of line for someone who lists his occupation as plumbing designer/mechanical engineer.

-Sam

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
clay

IF that is a clay bell/hub at the floor level there were NO couplings which would fit OVER it even if it were not broken. They are designed to connect to the pipe itself, so you would have had to cut the bell off anyway.

Engineer Ben

In the Trades
Reaction score
PHP:
No offense Ben, but your questions seem out of line for someone who lists his occupation as plumbing designer/mechanical engineer.

Noted.

I'll leave the packed joint until I can excavate and replace the clay elbow with a cast elbow coming up to a hub at the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks