Outside faucet has wrong thread size (pipe threads vs hose threads?)

Users who are viewing this thread

NiceMustang

Reaction score
I just moved into a 3-4 year old house that has an outside faucet that does not have hose threads on it. It appears to have pipe threads which while the same diameter are much finer that the normal outside hose threads.

I've talked to a plumber and apparently there should have been an adapter which was something like an anti-syphon or vacuum device on these threads which would have the normal hose threads on one end.

I can't reach the previous owners to see if they have this part, and no one who I've talked to can tell me where to go buy an adaptor which would take the faucet from pipe thread to hose thread. I really don't want to spend the money to have a plumber change the whole faucet...but that's what it seems I might have to do.

Any ideas where I can get an adaptor or something like this?

Thanks...Dan

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What you are probably looking at is someone has removed 1/2 of a vacuum breaker. The rest of it is locked in place with a setscrew which you will have to drill out. How about a pic?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
vacuum%20breaker.jpg

NiceMustang

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of the faucet and a close up of the threads. The items provided in the links provided above won't work in that they have hose threads on both ends.

I need something that has a female pipe thread on one end (has about 6-7 threads over ~3/8" or so) and a male hose thread on the other end.

Thanks...Dan

By the way...whoever gave me the nice Mustang pic for my ID...thanks! Someone asked about what I have...I have a '65 G***0 fastback (white with blue stripes) and a '94 triple black Cobra convert. We leave for the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour this Sat (hotrod.com) in Madison WI. Check it out! (end of shameless non-plumbing discussion).

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 12,473
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 62,852
  • IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 12,281

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Contact Watts; tell them their website is useless as well. They have the vaccum breaker you're after, I just couldn't find it.

Those are called straight thread vaccum breakers that prevent any type of direct connect hose connection to the faucet without having a vaccum breaker in place.

In Kentucky they've made this requirement code, and by all means, it's about 25 years too long in the waiting. :(

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
By the way...whoever gave me the nice Mustang pic for my ID...thanks! Someone asked about what I have...I have a '65 G***0 fastback (white with blue stripes) and a '94 triple black Cobra convert. We leave for the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour this Sat (hotrod.com) in Madison WI. Check it out! (end of shameless non-plumbing discussion).

Terry has been known to sneak in and put pics in the avatar.
Nice little stable, especially the cobra. I just got rid of a '04 Mach1, competetion orange and will hopefully be getting a terminator at some point in the future. That or a friend of mine builds kits to drop 5.4 32V out of navigators into the SN95-New edge stangs. 400hp NA with a mild build. :eek:

Have fun and good luck on the Hot Rod Tour, just watched the special with Chris Titus on the '02 Tour the other night, hadn't seen it in a while. Which ride is going on the tour?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
What you have there is an Arrowhead sill cock that someone removed the vacuum breaker off of it. You can call around your local plumbing supply houses and tell them you need a arrowhead fine thread to 3/4 hose thread vacuum breaker.

arrowhead_breaker2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NiceMustang

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have one on order from Arrowhead...I'll let everyone know if it works!

Really appreciate the time you've taken...this is a great site!

Dan...

NiceMustang

Reaction score
I should have closed this off before but better late than never. The adapter from Arrowhead worked perfectly. While they did send me the wrong part on their first try (hose thread to hose thread) on the 2nd time they got it right (hose thread to fine thread) and didn't charge me for their mistake.

Thanks again for all who've helped me on this!

Dan...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the update.
In case you others are wondering what happened, the threads on the hosebib were straight cut, meant for a vacuum breaker connection.

That meant contacting the manufacturer for a new vacuum breaker that matched the threads.

Or, the other option would have been complete replacement of the hosebib.
Most plumbers would have done that, so they could make the repair in one trip.
Travel time is a bear.

attachment.php

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing you can notice on the threads is the remnants of some thread sealer. WHomever unscrewed it worked hard at it, as that thread sealing compound makes it really hard to unscrew anything attached with it. To prevent accidentally removing the adapter when you take the hose off, you might want to consider putting some threadlock compound on it. The red stuff is a lot stronger than the blue stuff, but either should work. There's actually a bunch of different compounds. You don't want it TOO strong, or it is a real bear to remove if it ever needs to be replaced in the future.

arrowhead-bk1390.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
So the purpose of the vacuum breaker on the hose bib is to prevent what exactly?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As it says, it is to "break a vacuum" when a loss of pressure inside the house tries to suck water out of the hose. It is also a "backflow preventer" in case the hose is attached to some device which could force water backwards into the house system.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the hose was say sitting in a puddle or bucket and there was a hiccup in the supply pressure, it could suck that potentially polluted water into your water supply, and get not only you but possibly your neighbors sick. A vacuum breaker prevents that from happening. they are required on things like a handheld shower as well, since it could end up sitting in the tub. Do you like to drink dirty bathwater or pesticides that could get sucked into your pipes?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Of course I don't want dirty drinking water.

It sounds like this is overkill to me personally.

Common sense tells me I shouldn't hook a pump of backwards and try to pressurize my water supply.

Common sense tells me I should shut the hose bib off and coil the hose up when I'm done with it, not dip it in a 5gallon bucket of manure and water, then goto my local pump-station and kill the power...

Keeping stupid people from themselves I guess.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Keeping stupid people from themselves I guess.

Keeping stupid people from themselves?

That's why we license plumbers, to keep stupid people from themselves.
They also license doctors, lawyers, electricians, school teachers and more.

The fact that you even had to ask why the siphon protection would be needed, shows that indeed,, the part is needed.

Most times, when injury's have happened from back siphoning, it's when the water department was working on a main that needed to be turned off.
When that happens, water from the homes is pulled into the main.
Any hose left on will siphon whatever the end of the hose is dipped in.
If your neighbor is filling a swimming pool, filling a pond, filling the hog trough, or adding water to garden chemicals,
guess what, you get to share.
All that gets pulled into the main.
And then when the water gets turned back on, it's distributed to all the neighbors.

The whole thing gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Reactions: SHR
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks