Paint

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
I did a red color on bottom of my dining room and a light tan for the top. The top came out great, covered it with two coats, but only needed one. The bottom with the Valspar "tomato red" not so much. I'm on my third coat and it doesn't seem to be even or covering as good as the other paint.
The tomato red is Valspar's "signature color" line in eggshell at $30/gal.
The tan was Valspar's "ultra Premium" line in eggshell at $23/gal. It looks like it's going to take five coats of the red. I used white primer for both.
Anybody have suggestions...or just keep speading the paint.
Thanks
Barry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Next time, have them tint the primer. Covering white with a dark color might seem like an easy thing to do, but often isn't. Putting some black or the base color in your primer means you'll cover it much easier. You may also be applying the paint too thin.

Engineer Ben

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree. Dark primer. I ran a painting biz for a year. I just painted my house and bought premium Sherwin Williams. I still had to do 3 coats for the red room because I paid the drywallers to do a white spray first coat primer for speed sake. No other colors have ever required three coats for me from Sherwin.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Again, tinted primer would have made less work for yourself. I had to do 7 total coats in my bedroom. The pigments that make up red paint are more transparent than in other colors so it just inherently takes more coats to get the desired effect. The big box stores seem to have problems with getting tinted primers right and seem to just guess in my experience. Red paint benefits from gray primers though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks