Solar plus battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok,I have a system that pumps 4.5 gpm at 360 foot head at peak.Lets say I have 6 hours peak per day.But to fulfill my needs I need an addintional 3hours per day.It takes 910 watts to get the 4.5 gallons.How many add. watts and Batteries do I need to do this.Thanks Upper

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok,I have a system that pumps 4.5 gpm at 360 foot head at peak.Lets say I have 6 hours peak per day.But to fulfill my needs I need an addintional 3hours per day.It takes 910 watts to get the 4.5 gallons.How many add. watts and Batteries do I need to do this.Thanks Upper

If you really want to know..... You need an additional 3 KWH of battery capacity. Unfortunately batteries don't like to be drained much beyond 50% very often or their life expectancy will be drastically reduced so you need at least double that and probably more unless you expect to never see a cloud in the sky. For sake of argument lets say you go with 8 KWH of batteries. If your pump is 12 volts thats 667 amp hours or 6 Trojan T105 deep cycle batteries. This still assumes that it never is really cloudy.

-rick

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Lets say I have 6 hours peak per day.
But to fulfill my needs I need an addintional 3hours per day.
It takes 910 watts to get the 4.5 gallons.
910w for 6 hrs = ~5500 w-h.
For 9 hrs, ~8200 w-h.
8200-5500 = 2700 w-h.
To get this out of batts. you probably need to put in (8/5)2700 = 4300 w-h

Solar insolation is about 1kW/sq. meter and photovoltaic is probably 10% efficient.

http://www.apricus.com/html/insolation_levels_usa.htm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks