Rough estimate of the cost to switch from gas to electric

Users who are viewing this thread

chubyball

Reaction score
I was thinking replacing my water heater to tankless is there a lot of cost for doing this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It will likely be expensive. You may need to get your entire electrical system upgraded to have enough power. Energy density to use a gas version is probably a better choice but, just replacing what you have with (maybe) a larger tank may end up far more ecconomical. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
1 Therm of energy can be had from approx. 100 cubic feet of natural gas or 29 kwh of elec heat.
What are the rates in your area? I pay 16¢/kwh (=~$4.60/therm) and $1.10/therm of NG.

Last edited:

PatPro

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.mechanicalengineeronline.com
Tankless system costs

Assuming you have an electric tank type water heater now and you want to install a gas tankless system, you are probably looking at about $2,500.00 dollar range. You will need to extend your gas piping (and make sure you have enough capacity at your meter), provide venting for combustion air and the products of combustion, toss in a little bit of pipe work and lastly a bit of electrical work for the tankless unit controls/spark. You can find out more information at http://www.mechanicalengineeronline...ater_Heaters_Ebook/Tankless_Water_Heaters.htm

If the new unit will be electric, probably $1,500.00 if the panel is big enough to power the electric tankless system and about $2,500.00 if you need a sub-panel (service entrance needs to be verified).

It is good that you are thinking of this before your tank type system quits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks