220/240v from basement to kitchen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rughead

Reaction score
Hi guys. After a decade or so living overseas we're moving back to our small recently purchased house in New York. All well and good but we've got a lot of quality european appliances that run on 220/240v and we'd like to use them in NY. Have done this before in our previous house in NY by having the electrician run a wire off the 220 in the basement up to the kitchen when he replaced the 100 amp panel with a 200 amp. We plan to do the same again when we upgrade the panel but a bit more extensively throughout the house. My question is, can we do this legally in NY without problems from the Con Ed? Thanks for your advice. Cheers and best regards, Rughead.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I am not sure what problems you are expecting. :confused:

There are no codes against having 240v receptacles anywhere you want, especially from Con-Ed. They are simply the utility company and have nothing to do with what's inside your house.

I would worry if our 60Hz power system will harm your 50Hz EU appliances (if that's what they are).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can certainly do that, but the plugs on your appliances may not be NEMA approved, and euro receptacles to match may not be allowed by code. SO, you might have to redo the plugs on the appliances. I think having 240 receptacles around the kitchen may not be a big selling point for the house!

Things like toasters will be OK. Anything that has a clock timer, or a large motor, like air conditioners, washers, etc. may have a problem on 60 hz.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wiring

As long as the receptacles and plugs are unique for the 220v appliances, so that it would be impossible to mistake them for 120V or insert a 120v plug into them, then there should be no problem.

Rughead

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was concerned about breaking any laws. Am sure the electrician will do a good job and we're not concerned about selling the house these days having only bought it in December 07. I'm bringing the European receptacles and will retain the original appliances plugs. Am aware of the difference between 50 and 60 cycles and will not be using the 220 for any electronics. Again thanks. Cheers and best regards, Rug.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I'm bringing the European receptacles and will retain the original appliances plugs.
Are EU receptacle grounding type. Meaning do they use a third ground pin?
If not you cannot use them. The times I have done this we changed the plugs on the cords and used US type receptacles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks