Water Cooler

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckS

Reaction score
I just ran a new copper line to the old swamp cooler and for some reason I can't stop it from dripping up at the flow valve. I have plumbers tape on the threads but I get drip, drip, drip...

Any secrets to using these compression fittings?

Perhaps I should buy a new float valve?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Compression fittings do not require teflon tape and in fact will inhibit a leak! Just the soft copper, nut, ferrule and fitting are all that is required.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I am not a big fan of compression fittings for that very reason and prefer John Guest fittings ... but if you must use them I found a light coating of teflon paste between the ferrule and tubing will do the trick:cool:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I had a swamp cooler...
Your lucky they work in your climate...
To humid here...

But, I'm guessing that they have now gone to plastic similar to a Fluidmaster 400A and are using plastic at the attachment point...

A common problem for them is a crack on the shank where it mounts and the supply attaches...

If thats the case replace it.

ChuckS

Reaction score
John Guest fittings is what I was looking for but I didn't see them or sharkbites in a 1/4 size at *********.

The connection is copper to copper but I've had the float valve a few seasons.

I will try a little dope but somewhere back in my old mind it seems we used to flare or flange the end of the copper tubing a bit after we put on the nut and sleeve, then we would make the connection. I asked about such a tool at Home Depot and the kid how no idea what I was talking about. I guess they don't do it that way no more???

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
You talking 'bout one of these babies¿
458R_Ratchet_Flaring_Tool_3C.jpg

Not needed with the compression joint you are making. Most times it's used for gas that's piped in copper.

ChuckS

Reaction score
Yep, went back to home depot and found a guy who instantly knew what I was talking about. He said the same as you. I don't need it.

The nice guy sold me a new flow valve, pipe cutter, compression fittings with sleeves, pipe dope and descaler. I think the first guy who didn't know anything was a lot cheaper to speak to but now I think I have a plan to keep that thing from leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks