Replacing a Porcelain Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need to replace my bath porcelain sink. The sink is oval and under-mounted to granite. It has clamps, what appears to be silicone as well as wood supports that came with the cabinet. Would simply removing the clamps with a little shimming get the old sink out? Can someone offer some pointers on this as well as installing the new sink? I've read that some use epoxy? I'm not sure if this sink was installed using epoxy but if so how do I remove it?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Given the mechanical supports you describe, there should be no epoxy. But it will be caulked.

Figure out how to remove the clamps and the wood blocks. Then use a stiff putty knife in the joint to break the caulk joint. Do all this with your two hands, while holding up the sink with the other two.

Plan on putting the new sink in the same way.

I have seen some "experiments" with installing undermount sinks with epoxy only, and I consider it not reliable.

Jerome8283

Reaction score
Given the mechanical supports you describe, there should be no epoxy. But it will be caulked.

Figure out how to remove the clamps and the wood blocks. Then use a stiff putty knife in the joint to break the caulk joint. Do all this with your two hands, while holding up the sink with the other two.

Plan on putting the new sink in the same way.

I have seen some "experiments" with installing undermount sinks with epoxy only, and I consider it not reliable.

I got it off. It was silicone. thx

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks