Drake? DrakeII? Ultramax? Other? Could use a clue...

Users who are viewing this thread

pappy

Reaction score
We are finally replacing the old clunker toilet in our master bath. We have tried a Kohler 1.6l in our downstairs bath solely due to price - don't like it. I have been researching my fool head off for weeks now but only find myself getting more confused. I have spent less time researching cars. :eek:

Between various places including places that favor Toto including here and "toilets that work" - the only thing that is obvious to me is that my choice is not so obvious.

Obviously flush is important, getting everything down on the first shot... but a couple other pet peeves of ours I'm not finding mentioned as much are "skids" (fecal toilet markings) and "floaters" little pieces of dung, peas, corn, paper or whatever that is light and doesn't seem to have the same flush rate as the bulk - these are important issues to us and it's making it more difficult to really come up with something so we can find, buy and move on with our lives.

Seems the Drake and Ultramax are very popular, but in Terry's report it seems the top rated toilets had/have better bowl wash? Are those now the Drake II? And is the new Drake II at 1.28 a better worker than the Drake at 1.6?

My head is spinning and I'm hoping you folks have the info, experience and desire to help the clueless so I can make the right choice for us.

Thank you for this forum and any and all suggestions, tips, etc.. Very much appreciated.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their favorites. In my house, I put in a Soiree and 2 Gwyneths. Both models have Toto's "Double Cyclone" bowl wash system which sends water to the bowl via 2 huge jets on the top of the bowl.

I prefer the Gwyneths as I almost never have to double-flush with them - they just seem to handle a lot of "stuff" really well and instantly - actually kind of amazing how fast and easily they move solids out of the bowl.

I, like a lot of others on this site, recommend getting Toto's "CEFIONTECT" finish to reduce cleaning needs, and getting "comfort" or "ADA" height -

[video=youtube;Xn9_zctMge0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9_zctMge0[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

pappy

Reaction score
I am definitely pre-sold on CEFIONTECT, comfort/ADA height and enlongated bowl.

I thought I found the mother flusher in the Drake - but then, for cleanup, I thought either the Soiree or Guinevere was it based on the double cyclone and since on the CRToilet page Terry wrote it was TOTO's best gravity toilet with very good bowl wash.

Then I thought I read that either the Soiree/Guinevere (or both) has become the Drake 2. When I read that, I figured it'd have the flush mastery of the drake and the bowl cleaning mastery of the others - taking care of the bulk, paper/floatings thing and even some of the water line staining type stuff..

I appreciate the quick and helpful responses, in the meantime I'm collecting data on dealers hours and locations so I can track down our new dream toilet once the decision has been made.

:)

pappy

Reaction score
Hmm.. is it true there is no such animal as a ADA Drake with elongated bowl and CEFIONTECT?

cfoster

Reaction score
Website
OurSustainableHome.com
Hi Pappy,

I was looking for the same as you: Elongated, ADA, CEFIONTECT. You can pick two and find a Drake model with those options. The Drake II seems to solve this by putting in all 3, but then drops G-Max/Eco-Max for Double-Cyclone.

Are these three flush techniques relatively the same? Terry: When you mentioned the "Ultramax or Drake" would be a good choice, did that include the Drake 2? Or do you find the Drake 2 to be lacking in some way?

Thanks,
Colin.

cfoster

Reaction score
Website
OurSustainableHome.com
Well, I might have found out why they'd be less popular for the Canadian market anyway:

Promenade (CST424EFG): $565
Drake II (CST454CEFG): $805

Promenade (CST424EFG): $400 in Seattle
Drake II (CST454CEFG): $355 in Seattle

Last edited by a moderator:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Well, I might have found out why they'd be less popular for the Canadian market anyway:

Promenade (CST424EFG): $565
Drake II (CST454CEFG): $805

Promenade CST424EFG list price is $802.00 less (let's say) 30% = 561.40
Drake II CST454CEFG list price is $714.00 less 30% = $499.80

reinnie

Reaction score
I just installed five Ultramax in my house and about the skid mark. After my 3yr old went potty, the skid mark didn't get washed until the 3rd. flush. I have CEFIONTECT for all five toilets.

pappy

Reaction score
Well, I would like to thank everyone for their participation in this thread - all the knowledge on this board really helped shape/steer our decision.

We now have a brand new American Standard from Home Depot

...just kidding :p

We got the ADA Drake with elongated bowl - figured we'd go with the Drake flush and name and longer bowl instead of leaving off one of those options and getting CEFIONTECT - since our older toilets were kind of skid-prone anyway, we're used to it - but hopefully just a nice new finish will help a little. So far about 6 "tests" in, it looks pretty good. We also got the "matching" Toto Supreme sink with CEFIONTECT and are loving that so far.

We also opted for the soft close toilet seat.. before we had it I thought we'd just be wasting our money - we're both in the habit of putting down the lid after use and nearly never drop it.. but I've got to say this new seat is awesome! I would buy it again today, tomorrow and any other time we need a seat. (A) Taking it off to clean is incredible and (B) to just flick the lid and have it put itself down is a pleasure that is EASY to get used to. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks