Inspection Request for PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

mbauer

Programmer
Reaction score
Inspector requesting insulation for PEX

The inspector is requesting that I insulate my attic and outside PEX runs. He is also requesting that I fill the holes in the top plate with spray foam.

Does anyone know if the spray foam will be a problem where it comes in contact with the PEX?

Can I just use regular polyethylene tubing with the PEX and use metal strapping to secure it?

I'm using Wirsbo AquaPex by the way.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised he is requesting foam. I would have thought he would want fireproof caulking.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The inspector is requesting that I insulate my attic and outside PEX runs. He is also requesting that I fill the holes in the top plate with spray foam.

Does anyone know if the spray foam will be a problem where it comes in contact with the PEX?

Can I just use regular polyethylene tubing with the PEX and use metal strapping to secure it?

I'm using Wirsbo AquaPex by the way.

Thanks!

Your best to ask the manufacturer about compatibility issues. Are you sure the inspector is allowing you to use foam and not intumescent (not sure about spelling) caulk?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
foam

Just regular foam here, because the wood is already flammable. Fireproofing is only for fire rated structures requiring non flammable materials.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Knowing the other side of things, I like fire-resistant foam. A top plate, even a single one, will burn for a good 10-15 minutes before being compromised. Can you say that for regular foam or caulking?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The foam is not there to stop the fire. It is there to stop the chimney effect that will draw fire into the cavity. I would bet that most PEX manufacturers would tell you not to use a urethane foam product in contact with their pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks