(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Inspection Request for PEX

Default Inspector requesting insulation for PEX

The inspector is requesting that I insulate my attic and outside PEX runs. He is also requesting that I fill the holes in the top plate with spray foam.

Does anyone know if the spray foam will be a problem where it comes in contact with the PEX?

Can I just use regular polyethylene tubing with the PEX and use metal strapping to secure it?

I'm using Wirsbo AquaPex by the way.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mbauer; 05-29-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

The spray foam will be fine. But I guess a call to Uponor couldn't hurt matters.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I'm kind of surprised he is requesting foam. I would have thought he would want fireproof caulking.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
    The inspector is requesting that I insulate my attic and outside PEX runs. He is also requesting that I fill the holes in the top plate with spray foam.

Does anyone know if the spray foam will be a problem where it comes in contact with the PEX?

Can I just use regular polyethylene tubing with the PEX and use metal strapping to secure it?

I'm using Wirsbo AquaPex by the way.

Thanks!
    Your best to ask the manufacturer about compatibility issues. Are you sure the inspector is allowing you to use foam and not intumescent (not sure about spelling) caulk?

Quote Originally Posted by 99k View Post
    Your best to ask the manufacturer about compatibility issues. Are you sure the inspector is allowing you to use foam and not intumescent (not sure about spelling) caulk?
    I think you may be right on that...

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0217415

Default foam

Just regular foam here, because the wood is already flammable. Fireproofing is only for fire rated structures requiring non flammable materials.

Knowing the other side of things, I like fire-resistant foam. A top plate, even a single one, will burn for a good 10-15 minutes before being compromised. Can you say that for regular foam or caulking?
    I consider myself an accomplished DIY'er. I don't know everything but help where I can. I'm not a pro, but like to think I'm professional.

The foam is not there to stop the fire. It is there to stop the chimney effect that will draw fire into the cavity. I would bet that most PEX manufacturers would tell you not to use a urethane foam product in contact with their pipe.