backyard toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

jgreen8112

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for any advice about installing a toilet in our backyard (by the back door of our basement-about 4X4X6). I live in the Northeast and socialize with friends, in the Summer out back. Our living quarters are two stories up, so the convenience of a toilet is necessary. I've looked into Biolet and other composting toilets. But have no experience with them. Basically, I think I would like to stay away from anything that will require water shut off, plumbing,or any(or minimal) work. It could be used about 20 times per party? maybe 5 or 6 times throughout the summer. I certainaly don't want anything that will send oders around it.
Second question. We have a bidet and my husband likes it separate from the toilet. We need to replace both. I'm definitely getting a toto toilet, but noticed that only bidet seats are available. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have never seen a Biolet toilet before, but looking at the website with some suspicion I would save a few thousand dollars and go with a good quality camping toilet instead, like this one and spend the difference on a meal out in DC. Empty it after every party. One of these camping toilets kept me and my wife going for a week when our main toilet was out of action for a bathroom remodel. For one night it will not smell, after seven days it definitely will. I trust your parties do not last that long! A good camping toilet will flush, not smell (for several days) and will keep the waste out of sight through the neat use of a plastic flapper. They even sell (degradeable) toilet paper that should be used with these as well as deodorising chemicals.

Good camping toilets work great but emptying them is not that pleasant. I emptied mine slowly down my household toilet (not too quick since you would not want to block it). Again doing this after one night would be better than after a week (I needed a face mask). I simply cannot believe that emptying a Biolet toilet would be that nice either, and I would not be willing to put its by-product on my garden. If you go with the camping toilet, you'll see what I mean!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO also makes stand alone bidets that match their toilets.

I do sell more of their bidet seats.
When I visited Guatemala, those homes had stand alone bidets.

The maids room didn't, nor did it have hot water in the shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks