Surge Protector Trips Breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

rchaney99

Reaction score
I installed new internet service at our house. My wife wants the modem, wireless access point and cables in the closet. The closet has no electrical plug. The exterior closet wall does have an outlet. So I drilled a 7/16 inch hole through the closet - cut off the end of a surge protector, bought a new head for it... fed the wire for the surge protector through the closet wall I drilled and installed the new head onto the surge protector. Plugged it in and the surge protector light comes on... as soon as I plug something into the surge protector, it trips the breaker. Ive rewired the head 10 times, and it still does the same thing. I plugged a new surge protector into the same outlet and works fine! I am stumped...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could have the neutral and ground leads reversed. Running the cord through the wall won't meet code and as a secondary thing, unless carefully sealed, could end up getting moisture inside the wall leading to water damage. You'd be much better off installing a new outlet where you need it.

rchaney99

Reaction score
You could have the neutral and ground leads reversed. Running the cord through the wall won't meet code and as a secondary thing, unless carefully sealed, could end up getting moisture inside the wall leading to water damage. You'd be much better off installing a new outlet where you need it.

There are 3 wires... Black, white and green. I have the green installed to the round middle prong. Thats right isnt it?

I plan to seal the hole... that isnt a problem. I may look into a wall plate / seperate outlet as well.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ground is the round pin and should be connected to the green wire. Black should be connected to the smaller blade, and white to the larger blade.

The code issue is that the wire on the device is not (likley) rated for in-wall use. And, there are probably other code issues that apply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plug

You are assuming the outlet is opposite the closet wall, which may not be the case. But if it were, adding a new outlet to the back of it would be an even better option.

hiloelectric

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.hilo-electric.com
If the outlet is on the same wall as the closet then it seems easier to simply add a new outlet in the closet. Doing thing the right way to begin with. Get a box and a new outlet and 5' of ROMEX®. You open up the outlet on the outside, push the ROMEX® into the wall through the back of the outlet box. Cut a hole in the closet for the new outlet box, grab the wire from the other outlet. You make up the new outlet and finish it. Then you hook the new wire to the old outlet.

Throw away the surge protector you tampered with and install a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks