Change from single bowl to double bowl vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

sherreedc

Reaction score
We would like to change the vanity top in our master bathroom from a single bowl to a double bowl, but are not sure how to set up the drains for each sink as there is only one main drain. Could someone give me some pointers, please? Do we need to have a trap under each sink, or can the drain for the additional sink just be run over to tie in with the drain for the existing sink utilizing only one trap? We're not total plumbing dummies as we have replaced sinks, bathtub/shower combo, toilets, etc., but this is something new. Any assistance is appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sinks

Most plumbers would probably repipe it so each sink had its own "facilities", but for a DIY'er connecting the two sinks together into a single trap, similar to a double kitchen sink, is usually the easiest way.

Mchiarit

Reaction score
I agree that a single trap will work but it is not that difficult to have a trap for each sink and probably only cost about $2 more. Even then, it should not be a problem connecting both drains to the same old drain.

SpottyJ

Reaction score
hj said:
Most plumbers would probably repipe it so each sink had its own "facilities", but for a DIY'er connecting the two sinks together into a single trap, similar to a double kitchen sink, is usually the easiest way.

I have a similar situation (converting single sink drain into a two sink setup), any drawbacks to this method?

Does this situation work fairly reliably? Sinks would be about 3 feet apart.

It is certainly a lot easier than either running a vent to the attic, etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sinks

It should work "reliably" but you can have odor problems because air can circulate through the 3' section from one sink to the other, and keeping it from falling apart can be daunting with all the slip joints required.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
by code (UPC) you can connect the two lavs to 1 trap as long as the sinks arn't farther apart then 30 inches, center to center.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks