Need A Complete Heating System: Any Ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

richg

Reaction score
Gang,

Hoe you are well. The purpose of this post is to inquire about the selection and installation of a propane-fired hot water baseboard heating system.

Background: 2000 sq ft bilevel, 3br 3 bath, in northwest NJ. It is incredibly well insulated (spray foam, new construction Andersen windows, etc) Currently, the house only has tragic electric baseboard heaters, along with a powerful pellet stove that I use for a main source of winter heat. Hot water comes from a Bosch 125 tankless electric. The place is going to be sold within 3-5 years and most buyers will not even look at a house that has electric baseboard.

Installation Issues: I have ample room in the house for all components and plenty of locations in the yard for a 1000 gallon propane tank. All of the upstairs rooms are easily accessed from below by either a drop ceiling or via the 2-car garage.

Fuel: As before, I am looking at propane-fired hot water baseboard. There are no gas lines at present, although there are rumors that the lines will be extended and I'd rather go with a propane system instead of oil in the event that gas does become available at some point. Also, I'd like to replace the existing electric kitchen stove and clothes dryer with gas models.

System Selection: There seems to be a lot of negative reviews about the Burnham Opus and Weil McLain Ultra models. I was hoping to get something that a local plumber could service during an emergency call at 2:00 AM. What are some good high-efficiency boilers? I was hoping to get 90%+ efficiency as propane can get pricey. Given that this is a bilevel, I will probably need 2 and possibly 3 zones.

Cost: Including boiler, copper or pex, installation etc, do you have any rough idea as to what I am looking at? I have the money to do this right, but don't have the money for a piece of doo doo system that fails constantly.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I put in a Buderus boiler. You would probably want to install an indirect WH at the same time and retire the tankless. On the retrofit (no running pipe to install baseboards, etc., just replace existing), it cost me about $9k for the boiler and indirect installation. I have a couple of zones. This should give you a starting point. Not sure if the efficiency stays the same on propane, but this boiler is spec'ed at 94% at full output (higher at low). It is a modulating version, capable of firing down to 20% of the max heat output. Constant low-level heat is the most efficient and comfortable rather than short on/off cycles of much higher heat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks