Shower Valve Stumped Me

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Sterling Shower Valve 15 years old
The cold side was leaking so I pulled the stem. I replaced the rubber boot and spring. It stopped leaking for about 20 uses and now it is a leaking a steady stream of water.
What next? :)

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
With all the plumbing going on in your life, molo, I think you're a fellow doing plumbing repairs/side jobs and learning as you go. ;)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The wife? :)

Plumbing is a joy anyway. I cannot see how anyone could charge for it. It's like asking to be paid for watching a game of baseball with a cold beer in one hand and a hot dog in the other.

I cannot wait for the weekend to come so I can replace a garden faucet for a friend. I dream about doing DIY at night.

Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
@ Ian

Wish I could invite you to the next mainline sewer job I get called to. lol Bet you wouldn't be eating corn for dinner that nite.

SeattlePlumber

Service plumber.
Reaction score
Replace the valve...

Sterling has an odd and poorly designed stem. It's a plastic/brass hybrid with a delta-like seal. Not surprising since it's made by Kohler (a company whom IMHO can't make a decent valve to save their life).

Do yourself a favor... bite the bullet and replace the valve. It will be expensive but you'll save yourself many instances of future frustration. If you like the two (or three) handle style, put in a Grohe, a Delta or a Price Pfister (which, by the way is about the only halfway decent thing Price Pfister makes).

I shouldn't complain too much about Kohler or Price Pfister. After all, they keep me very busy fixing all their crap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks