How to Bleach Wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

When my cat got old, it got diabetes and peed all over the wooden floors, sometimes in places where I couldn't find until it had already soaked through the finish (like behind the piano, behind the sideboard, behind the couch, etc., yuck!). I got some stuff that removed the odor and that seems to have done the trick (at least so far, the real test will be in the heat of summer), but now I'm left with ugly stains on the floor (they're oak).

I've done internet searches on wood bleaches, and learned that there are two different kinds, which work on different types of stains, but I can't find out which would work on urine stains (if any would). I'd like to get these sections of wood (there are several) closer to the yellow oak color of the rest of the floor, rather than this really ugly dark brown!

Thanks,
Joy

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If the urine has deeply penetrated the wood, there may be no choice but to sand it down and refinish. This may be best left to a professional.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I've sanded, stained, and refinished the floors in both my house and my mom's, so I'm not afraid of the work. If I felt like doing the work, I'd just sand the entire floor and stain it dark to cover the stains, but I don't want to go to all the work and expense. I just want to know what kind of bleach would be best to lighten the stain so it doesn't stand out as much.

Thanks,
Joy

killavolt

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like Oxalic acid (wood bleach) especially for use on pet stains. It will bleach the stain out without turning the wood white. Depending on the depth and severity of the stain, you may have to apply two or more times to completely bleach out the stains. You can buy Oxalic acid from most home centers in the paint department.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks