Resurfacing concrete driveway

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtballer

Reaction score
Hi all, first post for me. Been in my home here in St. Paul, MN for three years now. My driveway is concrete, but looks like it was laid by an amateur about 30 years ago or so. The surface is very rough and starting to deteriorate. Fortunately it only has one crack, so it seems pretty stable at least. When it was laid they left really wide joints between the slabs (3/4 to 1") which give it that nice amateur look and makes attempts at using a creeper under any car a challenge.

I plan on selling the house either this summer or next. But want to refresh the driveway, which is plain ugly. I don't have the money for new concrete or even a pavement resurface. I have had luck in my garage with vinyl concrete patcher, but I realize the driveway will need to be completely resurfaced with at least a 1/4 inch of something(?). I would also like to reduce the size of the joints to make it look normal (is it possible to elimate the joints altogether since the slabs are settled?).

I found this process, which looks like it might do the trick.

Please let me know if you have any experience in this type of concrete rehab in a cold weather climate.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• IMG1a.jpg
    IMG1a.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,176
  • IMG2a.jpg
    IMG2a.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,525
  • IMG3a.jpg
    IMG3a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 929

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'd leave it alone because a year, two years from now you'll have to repeat the process because it will be showing signs of flake off, cracking, peeling.

I have yet to to see a product other than stampwork that uses special bonding agents that 'skins' a concrete surface and actually holds up.

Leaving it be might be the best suggestion as I see too many 'quick repairs' that lead to tearouts because of the maintenance it now creates.

Dirtballer

Reaction score
I have yet to to see a product other than stampwork that uses special bonding agents that 'skins' a concrete surface and actually holds up.

So how does stampwork bond to the original surface? I'm not familiar with the skinning process outside of cleaning game :D

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That drive does not look bad, although you appear to have missed it with your truck :). Just leave it. All concrete can crack anyway, so one is not the end of the world.

The sidewalks in my town look worse than that.

Keep the joints. They stop cracking.

I'd be proud of a drive like that. I have to park on the street.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I like the way the cement floors at home depot look much better :p

True, but those are completely flat and slick as hell when wet.

I'm no expert on stamp work but it involves a specific expoxy along with a product that is designed intentionally for adhesion to concrete surfaces.

It's very expensive as I know a guy who does that type of work and he's told me of how he cannot get around some of the costs involved in doing jobs.

It's too expensive for what you are trying to accomplish. Your concrete is cosmetically damaged, not anything in regards to structural integrity.

Those cheap 'answers in a can' lead to driveways that look painted and they are never ending maintenance at that point.

Give the problem to the next guy and save yourself the effort. A driveway that large would have some serious work involved noticing all those divots and surface openings that have to be filled, just to put the final topping on.

Dirtballer

Reaction score
Someone suggested I have it topped with asphalt, is that a viable option? if so, do they taper the asphalt where it meets the concrete inside the garage and at the street?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
asphalt

I cannot image any asphalt coating less than 2" thick making a long term surface, and even then asphalt depends on traffic driving over it to keep it compressed and your driveway would only have pressure where the tires roll every time.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I reiterate. Your drive is in better condition than most of the interstate and highways around where I live.

Rejoice in its splendour.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks