Water spraying or misting from well tank

Users who are viewing this thread

hd82

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long, here are the pics and info I got off the tag. It is a Pentair Water Treatment, Chardon Ohio, Serial# 16408-158, Model SP 25.The pics are attached.
What is the valve on the side of my tank called? It has a pressure gauge screw in the top and the thing is spraying water onto my wall and floor. Is there some type of drain hose that can be attached to the fitting where the spray is coming from so that I can attach a 1/4" hose and run it to a drain?

Thanks,
hd82

Attachments

• Jun07_0005.jpg
    Jun07_0005.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 896
  • Jun07_0003.jpg
    Jun07_0003.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 794
  • Jun07_0004.jpg
    Jun07_0004.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 793
  • Jun07_0013.jpg
    Jun07_0013.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 766
  • Jun07_0006.jpg
    Jun07_0006.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 817
Last edited:

ArayT

Reaction score
Sounds like the pressure port is leaking. If you have a bladder tank the bladder has a hole in it. This is used for adding air to the top side of the bladder. It should not be leaking water or air. Some bladders are replaceable if not you'll need a new tank.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
tank leak

I would guess that's a galvanized tank with a bad air volume control on the side. Turn off pump and drain tank. Unscrew bad air volume control and replace with new. Add air to tank via air valve, 2 psi less than cut in pressure. Turn on pump and you should be all set.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
If the is a gauge on top of the fitting that is leaking water. That sounds like an air release. It let the air out if you have too much. If this is what you have, you do not have a bladder tank, and there is no need to add air.

Down by the pressure switch is there a small air stem that looks like it would be on a car tire? Make sure there is no cap on it. The cap will stop it from working properly.

Like has been stated already, all you need is a new air release.
Turn off the pump power.
Drain off the pressure.
Take the gauge out.
Take out the old air release.
Put pipe dope or teflon tape on the new one, and put it all back together, and turn it back on.

Travis

hd82

Reaction score
Sorry guys if I have not been clear. This is a brand new system and tank. It is 120 gallon fiberglass. The thing I am trying to describe is located on the side about 1/3 up from the bottom. It resembles a 1 1/4" black plastic hex head pipe plug, pointing up is a threaded hole and a pressure gauge screwed in, no leaks here. In the center of what I would call the top of the plug there is what looks like a 1/4" pipe threaded hole, in this hole is a white plastic plug with a slot for a flat screw driver and a 1/32" or 1/16" hole. There is an arrow indicating a clockwise rotation and the word "increase" above it. At the end of every filling cycle there is a spray or mist of water, I am told this is a normal action, it is suppose to spray. What I would like to do is screw in a barbed fitting with a 1/4" plastic tubing and run it to a drain or out the wall so that my floor and wall stays dry.

I hope I have given you a better idea of what it looks like and what it does. I wish I knew the name or had some type of part number but all it has stamped on it is, 1/09 HARVARD American Granby, nothing else.

Donald

Speedbump

Reaction score
I suppose someone makes a fiberglas pneumatic tank. And from what you have told us, it is an air release valve. How about a picture?

The 1/09 sounds like it's manufacture date. American Granby is a distributor of water well accessories, that's why their name is on it.

I think you will find that the Ametek is a better device than the one you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the name on your tank is Flex-Lite. I've run into this before where the plastic air volume control was doing the same thing. I ended up having an intermittent issue with it and had to replace it. I removed it, installed a brass plug, and then installed a top mount air volume control instead.

hd82

Reaction score
I looked at Flex-lite on the web and mine doesn't look the same. The one I have is either Gray or green (I'm color blind so its hard to tell). The outside of the tank is rough as the fiberglass or matting is visibly apparent. I live in New Orleans and the tank is at my place in the country, I only get up there on weekends. Last month I installed an underground sprinkler system to water the new lawn automatically. When I get there on saturdays the first thing I have to do is dry out the floor and wall of the feed room where it is located. I'm wondering if I can screw in a 1/4" male pipe thread to 3/8" hose fitting in the hole where the adjusting screw for the misting is and run the hose thru the wood floor to the ground outside. This would keep the floor and wall dry without defeating the purpose of the air release?

hd82

Speedbump

Reaction score
Don't plug the hole and put an air release up top. Your tank is used to store water and pressure and the air is very important to that end. If you put an air release in the top, all the air is gone.

I have a galvanized tank in my barn with an air release (the one on the website I sent you to), it leaks too (they all do sooner or later) so I attached a 3/8" plastic hose to it with a hose clamp and vent it outside.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think teets was talking about one of those top mount AVC's that has a float down in the tank. They just let out air until that float rises, not all the way to the top of the tank.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I agree with waterwelldude. If anything other than air is coming out it is because the float is sticking or the valve core is leaking. Replace the part and there will be no need to do anything else.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think Well Mate is the best of the fiberglass bladder tanks but, is down on my list a ways from some steel tanks. I have actually heard good things about this bladderless tank and top discharge AVC.

However, I agree with "Dude and CC", get a new AVC. Yours has a float that is stuck or has fallen off in the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks