Possible to use tub filler outlet for second shower head?

Users who are viewing this thread

jstafford

Reaction score
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone has ever used the tub filler oulet on a tub/shower valve (has the diverter built into it right above the handle) for a second shower head?
I have a valve with a tub filler but since it's going into a shower, I was planning to use the tub filler outler for the main shower head, and the shower outlet for a second handheld shower. I don't need to use them both at the same time so I'm hoping this will work. The only problem i could see is if the tub filler has too much backpressure when hooked to a shower head, and causes some water to bypass back to the handheld shower. Thanks in advance for any info if anyone has tried this. :)

Tub filler outlet --> to shower head
Shower outlet --> to handheld shower
Diverter built in to the valve, allowing selection of either regular shower head, or the handheld shower.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Like this picture? Found this in Elgin in a house that was only 2 years old.

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,114

jstafford

Reaction score
Good one ;)
Not exactly the "application" I had in mind. haha
I wanted the second shower head to be mounted at about 4' - 5' so my younger kids can use it. Also handy to have the handheld for rinsing the shower out when you clean it (it will be tiled).

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Good one ;)
Not exactly the "application" I had in mind. haha
I wanted the second shower head to be mounted at about 4' - 5' so my younger kids can use it. Also handy to have the handheld for rinsing the shower out when you clean it (it will be tiled).

I couldnt get the other shower head in the picture. Both are there. And yes you can do it. Any plumber can set you up the way you want it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

There is absolutely no doubt that the shower head connected to the spout opening will cause the upper one to ALWAYS operate except when the diverter is activated to send all the water to the upper one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I would use a handheld on a bar so it could be moved to where you want it. You will need a different divertor valve to select between multiple shower heads...the tub spout won't cut it as noted. The path to the showerhead is always open in that design, and by making any restriction to the flow out the tub spout, water will back up and start to dribble out the top. You need a valve that will physically shut off one path or the other.

jstafford

Reaction score
OK I hear what you're saying. So it would probably work to just put a valve right on the handheld then, correct? Thanks for all your input. Better to know now than after the walls are closed up!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No, you need a real divertor valve that will (normally) give you water flow to only one, the other, or both. It effectively gives you a shutoff for each showerhead, with a third position that supplies water to both. Exactly how a particular one works will be different...if you only want to do one or the other but not both, it gets simpler and less expensive. It's all in one valve. Something like this would work http://www.groheamerica.com/lib/8/catalogue_p1/gw/lc25/29714000_GW.pdf

Pick one from your manufacturer of choice so you can get trim to match. While the functionality is common, trim is not between manufacturers and even within the different choices of rough-in valves from the same manufacturer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks