(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Possible to use tub filler outlet for second shower head?

Hybrid View

Default Possible to use tub filler outlet for second shower head?

Hi all,
    Wondering if anyone has ever used the tub filler oulet on a tub/shower valve (has the diverter built into it right above the handle) for a second shower head?
    I have a valve with a tub filler but since it's going into a shower, I was planning to use the tub filler outler for the main shower head, and the shower outlet for a second handheld shower. I don't need to use them both at the same time so I'm hoping this will work. The only problem i could see is if the tub filler has too much backpressure when hooked to a shower head, and causes some water to bypass back to the handheld shower. Thanks in advance for any info if anyone has tried this.

Tub filler outlet --> to shower head
    Shower outlet --> to handheld shower
    Diverter built in to the valve, allowing selection of either regular shower head, or the handheld shower.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Like this picture? Found this in Elgin in a house that was only 2 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good one
    Not exactly the "application" I had in mind. haha
    I wanted the second shower head to be mounted at about 4' - 5' so my younger kids can use it. Also handy to have the handheld for rinsing the shower out when you clean it (it will be tiled).

Quote Originally Posted by jstafford View Post
    Good one
    Not exactly the "application" I had in mind. haha
    I wanted the second shower head to be mounted at about 4' - 5' so my younger kids can use it. Also handy to have the handheld for rinsing the shower out when you clean it (it will be tiled).
    I couldnt get the other shower head in the picture. Both are there. And yes you can do it. Any plumber can set you up the way you want it.

Here is something like you described.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default shower

There is absolutely no doubt that the shower head connected to the spout opening will cause the upper one to ALWAYS operate except when the diverter is activated to send all the water to the upper one.