New Sandpoint Well not producing much water

Users who are viewing this thread

SkiTrak

Reaction score
First a little background on my land.

I live in northeast Massachusetts. My property has a high water table and a lot of clay. Years ago I dug a hole with a back hoe and the soil started out as a small layer of loom (less then 1 foot) followed by a clay sand layer followed by sand water and eventually hard gray clay. The backhoe could not break through the clay because he was all ready pretty extended and the hole was collapsing because of the sand and water layer.

About 10 years ago I put a 500 shallow dry well in for a drain. The dry well always had water in the bottom of it. I abandoned it a long time ago because the town put in a dry well catch basin in front of my house and I was able to use that instead. That also alwys has water in it at the same elevation as in the dry well.

Recently I dug up the man hole of the old dry well and it had about 6" of water in it.

I drove a 3' screen 1.25" sand point I bought from Northern through the man hole. I went down with two sections of 5' galvanized pipe. There is 8' of water in the pipe. I flushed the pipe with a garden hose to remove the sand. I connected the top of the pipe using a 20' horozontal run of 1.25 pvc pipe and a pvc check valve near the well head. I hooked that up to a 1 hp jet pump and it takes about 5 minutes to come to the pressure shut off. If I turn the pump off and open the discharge I get about 2.5 gallons of water.

I disconnected the top of the pipe and filled it with water. waited a minute and measured how much water I could add to the pipe it was only about a pint.

I then hooked up a garden hose to the pipe to pressurize the well and after a short period I noticed water and air cumming up around the pipe. After the air left the pipe only water came up.

I ran the water for 30 minutes and when I disconnected the water I could not fill the pipe because it was draining to fast.

I hooked up the pump again but still cannot pull much water.

Should I drive the pipe another 5 feet? I am a little owrried I will hit the gray clay and not be able to go further.

Speedbump

Reaction score
All I can tell you is that the screen has to be in sand. The sand has to be clean. There can be no clay or other types of material. Just clean sand. A Pitcher Pump is the most positive way to pump on a newly driven well. The pump should be screwed on top of the 1-1/4" casing. If the handle kicks back when you have gotten it primed and you push down in it, the well is likely not going to produce much. You should get a good full stroke with quite a bit of water coming out of the spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks