Exterior repair/paint question on stucco

Users who are viewing this thread

Agu

Reaction score
My house was built in the early 80's, concrete block with hand applied stucco over the block. We painted it about 5 years ago and the stucco was in perfect condition.
About three years ago the house was hit by a mini tornado. I was home at the time and after it hit I went out front to see how big of a truck mistook my front yard for an interstate on ramp ;). No truck , but I lost about 30 barrel tile shingles and the joint tape connecting the ceiling and wall on that corner of the house was peeled away from the walls. Both an easy fix for a DIY guy since bids came in at $5 more than my deductible :(.

However my house has since developed several hairline cracks in the stucco. I know that what I should do is become close friends with Mr Caulking gun and Mr Primer and then repaint the house. My concern is allowing moisture into the walls and developing even more problems, is that a valid concern? If so is there an easier way to seal the cracks prior to repainting ?

tia

manny1602

Reaction score
I would use Loxon from Sherwin-Williams and use a brush to fill the hairline cracks. Loxon stays flexible and with two coats applied perpendicular to the crack and feathered out at the edges hairline cracks are as good as invisible.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
But DO get those cracks filled. They're like cancer on a stucco wall. Even if you have to use a bright white exterior caulk that stands out like a sore thumb in the interim, I'd do it.

Don't use silicone caulk though -- it won't take paint.

DAP has a good website, and on a few occasions I've submitted application questions to them and gotten very quick responses / good customer service in my limited experience.

Agu

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up dgold, As much as I hate the option I think acrylic latex caulk followed with a good primer is the best option. I want to fill the cracks not just cover them.
Tried the same formula of paint and after 6 years in the Florida sun there's no matching the color so I get to paint the whole house too :).

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
...after 6 years in the Florida sun there's no matching the color so I get to paint the whole house too :).

You might want to try a good paint store. Sometimes they can match if you can bring in a sample -- like a small piece of flaking stucco. Don't know what's down there, but I've had very good luck w/ Benjamin Moore dealers, and I've heard good things about the Sherwin Williams stores. The paint stores tend to cater to the pro's (vs. the boxes) and their customer service and desire to make you happy is worth the extra few bucks a gallon in my opinion.

Two options as far as painting the whole wall.
1. Being a landlord, I've learned to blend paint with a brush. paint the area that needs painting, but then use the brush almost dry to spread the wet area to the dry. If you get it right, and if the color is close it's hard to tell where the new begins and the old ends. Worth a shot.

2. An extra coat of paint on the exterior isn't just for looks. It protects wood, stucco, & anything else from the elements. Probably the cheapest and easiest preventative maintenance you can do on a house. Besides, outside, (and I'm sure others will have dissenting opinions on this, but) there's plenty of places you can sort of slop it on and it never really looks bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks