dock water line

Users who are viewing this thread

deniseendo

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Can someone please tell me the best pipe to use on my dock. I know some pipe are not well suited outdoors due to UV rays. What type do you all reccommend?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
What I've seen typically down here is sch. 40 buried up to the seawall then transition to type L copper for the dock runs.
I've also seen the transition usually with a yard hydrant then regular garden hose run along the dock. If the garden hose fails either by "natural" means or if something hits/tears it the fix is quite easy.

Also, depending on your water vs. dock height and how your existing water is set up you may want to consider a backflow preventor.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Around here the most commonly used tubing on docks is black polyethelene as the docks move up and down with the tide and yes, backflow prevention is needed.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Around here we have huge fluctuations in lake water level. Most docks do not have water supplies for drinking/cooking but for washing boats and that sort of thing.. thus, not intended for a potable water supply. If you put copper to the dock and it is visible it's not going to be there next weekend 'cause some jack rabbit is gonna steal it! The way I've done this is to use hangers to attach PVC to the underside of walkways to protect it from the sun's u.v. rays. On each end I put a male garden hose bib or hose pipe adapter of some kind. To make the jump across the hinge between land and walkway and again between the dock and walkway I use a braided stainless steel washing machine hose and give it plenty of slack. Servicing vacation homes on water fronts is my particular specialty. I'll also add a tee with a ball valve at the dock's lowest point to drain all the pipes so they won't freeze in the winter. If you want to add an anti siphon device at the connection to the water supply for safety or to satisfy health regulations then that's a very good idea too.

Last edited:

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
I would use schedule 80 PVC it is dark gray and rated for sun exposure, the fittings are about a cost equivalent of copper, but the pipe is not bad,
On a one inch water line pipe was abut 50 cents a foot and the fittings seemed to be about $4 each on average
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks