Replacing old shower valve...

Users who are viewing this thread

schu777

Reaction score
I'm in the process of remodeling the master bathroom and just got the fixture for the shower this weekend and looking now at replacing the existing shower valve. I'd like to put in a couple of ball valves to shutoff the hot/cold water feeds at the same time...allowing the rest of the house to be on, yet the shower turned off in case of issues in the future.

Today it has 1/2" copper pipes feeding the existing shower valve with a 1/2" going to the shower head. This is a shower only too.

Last night while at a friends house I was talking about having to solder on this new valve and the concern of a leak and such - so he mentioned a compression fitting. I got to looking around and wondering if this would work. Of my reading:

1) Compression fittings should be done in a open, but space that won't get kicked/hit easily.
2) Compression fittings should not be inside walls
3) Sharkbite can be used in walls.

I've never soldered a copper pipe and I'm worried that I won't get a good tight seal as the water in the house would need to be off completely to do it.

PEX - I'm sure this is an option, but is it for a DIY?

So I'm thinking these are my choices:

1) Learn to solder copper pipes
2) Install a Sharkbite and go on with the process
3) Use PEX
4) Hire a plumber to get the new valve put in.

What are the pros/cons of each of these choices?

Thanks, Michael

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
1. Very benificial for future work, added bonus: 2 man card points.
2. I've no experience with Sharkbites unless they are on the other end of my fishing line.
3. Pex hasn't been time tested yet, tools can be expensive, proprietary tools and/or fittings.
4. Best chance of working with no future issues but can be pricey.

Is CPVC allowed in your jurisdiction?

Another note: Are you placing the shut off's in the attic/ceiling area. If/when I ever redo my bathrooms I'll be putting in an access panel to the shower/tub valves with unions at the valves.

schu777

Reaction score
The shut off's will be in the same wall, but the other side I can put in an access panel easily enough - just drywall on the other side.

As for future work - not going to happen much as I don't seeing having to solder copper pipes very much in the future...

Is CPVC allowed in your jurisdiction? I have no clue...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
options

1) Learn to solder copper pipes

I would rather you learn on something that is not going to be enclosed for the rest of its life.

2) Install a Sharkbite and go on with the process

Probably okay, but will still be enclosed for a long time.

3) Use PEX

Poor choice for such a small area.

4) Hire a plumber to get the new valve put in.

Best choice in the long run.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
No skill with copper, don't own PEX tools and no skills there, possibility more so than others to burn the house down sweat soldering in the wall...hmmm
PLUMBER time!

schu777

Reaction score
So - what kind of price range could I expect for a plumber to come and do this? I know it depends on the area, which is Omaha, but just be nice to know. Plus I wouldn't think it would take very long for someone to do either, considering it's just turn the water off, drain the water, cut pipes and take out old and put in new.

So - would it be worth while putting in shutoff valves?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The issue with shutoffs in the wall for a tub/shower valve is that unless you know they are there, and a plumber probably wouldn't unless you told him, they don't get used often, and may not work when the time comes 20-30 years down the road when it would be handy to have. Many repairs can be made without taking off the trim plate, so the shutoffs wouldn't be visible. If you have an access panel behind the wall, then it becomes more viable. Use a good quality ball valve and you have a good chance of them working when eventually needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks