Where's the water coming from?

Users who are viewing this thread

DallasDIY

Reaction score
I'm curious about something and could probably find the answer with enough searching but it's late and I'm too tired to work at it.

My water heater started leaking this weekend and I'll pick up a new one first thing Monday morning. Last night, I shut off the water supply to the house, cut the hot and cold pipes just above the water heater, and took the heater out completely. Put a new ball valve on the incoming (cold) side at the wall nipple. Just to stop back drainage, I put a valve on the hot side where I had cut the pipes just above the top of the water heater.

So, here I am with what I think is "closed" on the HW side but, when I turn on a faucet, I get a stored up flow back in the HW pipes even though I've drained them several times.

Where is this water likely coming from?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
If people are using single handle faucets and they open the faucet and try to get warm water, the cold water will back flow.

Now if the issue is where no one is running water and you are getting backflow, then the trouble is with a failing single handle cartridge. Very common in Moen. I have been on service calls where people complained that when they turn on just the cold water, hot water comes out first for a few minutes. I replaced all their Moen cartridges and problem solved.

DallasDIY

Reaction score
Ron,

Thanks for the reply. I suspected the single-handles might have been the source.

The only places I have active single-handle faucets right now are on my tub and shower stall in the master bath. The bathroom sinks are all two-handle faucets. Kitchen sink and one of the bath sinks are not online as I had yanked them for installation of new countertops.

The single handle faucets in tub and shower are Deltas. I haven't noticed any trouble with water temps but will check things out further.

Thanks again for the info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks