Pressure Tank Question

Users who are viewing this thread

mrjaybov

Reaction score
I have a 1hp shallow jet pump for my lawn irrigation. My buddy gave me a 40 gallon pressure tank (brand new), Would there be any benefit to hooking this up to my system? It's a 40/60 tank, my current pump pressure is about 32 psi. Could anything be gained by using this?

If so, do I just run a T off my output with one line going to the tank and the other connecting to the existing output to the sprinkling system?

sprinkling system
^
^
^>>>>>>>>---<<<<<<<---- Pressure tank
^
^
^__________________
| |
| PUMP | <<<<<<<<<< Well Water Input
|__________________|

Speedbump

Reaction score
To use the tank, you need a pressure switch. The only benefit I know of not knowing any more about your system is the fact that you can use a single hose without running the sprinklers at the same time.

bob...

mrjaybov

Reaction score
Bob, It already has a pressure switch hooked up and rated at 40/60.

I hooked this up and it has real good pressure until the tank runs dry of water then my pressure falls back to 32-34.

I have a T coming out of the pump with a hose running to the pressure tank from the side shoot and then the upshoot going to the sprinkling system.

I can't figure out how to keep water in the tank to keep my pressure up, it seems to be drawn back into the pump...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Tanks do not make pressure. Pumps do. Your pump is doing all it can at 30 some pounds of pressure. Use more water and the pressure will go down lower. Use less water the pressure will rise higher. Quit using water and the pump should shut off at the pressure switches pre setting.

bob...

mrjaybov

Reaction score
Ok. This makes no sense to me. When the pressure tank is full of water the pressure is 50 psi, as the pump runs and the tank loses water the pressure drops. I thought as long as the pressure tank was full, the pressure stayed higher. Your logic, doesn't make sense to me.. I'm sure your correct, but my setup seems to work backwards to your explanation.

I have a shut off valve that goes between my pump and sprinkling system. It is located AFTER the hose that fills the pressure tank. When I close the valve so no water can exit to the sprinkling system the pressure on the pump gradually rises as the tank fills which is 60 psi then shuts off. This takes about 1 minute to fill and shut down

I also have a valve between the pressure tank and pump, if I close that valve and the sprinkling valve the pressure on the pump shoots to 60psi immediately.

When I open the valve, the system runs between 40 - 60 psi until the tank empties then the pressure drops.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's not that hard to understand. The pump puts water into the tank. As the pump puts more and more water in the tank, the water is compressing the air which builds pressure. When the pressure reaches 60 the pump switch is satisfied and the pump turns off. You open the valve to the sprinklers and the air in the tank pushes the water out which in turn lets the pressure drop until the pump turns back on at 40 psi. At this point the tank is almost totally empty. It's now up to the pump to try to keep up with the sprinklers. If it can pump more than they are using, the pressure will rise as water goes into the tank. If it can't keep up with the water usage, the pressure will drop further. Somewhere in there is a happy medium where the pump, well and sprinklers will even out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks