dishwasher vent

Users who are viewing this thread

sanddab

Reaction score
My current dishwasher has a vent tube that exits on top of the sink through a little chrome tower. My last dishwasher didn't have one. My wife wants a new sink, what does the vent do and do I need it?

Thanks Jim

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
what that is is a vacuum breaker for the dishwasher drain. It is required by code. You can either put it on the new sink or counter top mount it.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An air gap is by far the safest way to connect your DW to the drain. It is required in many places, and a good idea where not required. If prevents any waste water from ever getting back into the DW, contaminating what you may think are clean dishes.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
not ipc legal Ron. because...well you just posted why.

Technically they should be mounted above the flood level rim of the fixture served which in this case is the sink drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks