Well water pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

alison

Reaction score
First, I am a city baby, never had well water. We now have well water, the well is far away from the house, out in the yard. Next to the house, with the water softener, tanks/equipment is a motor bolted on to a concrete slab. Is this the well pump? Lately there are periods when we have no water in the house. My husband has found that by going outside and giving this motor a good whack, it turns on, we get water. Our water person suggested we replace a switch from Home Depot. Relatively easy to put on, just wires and a pressure tube. Worked for a week or two, no whacking. Now back to whacking it every two days or so. Obviously dying, want to get it fixed before it does, BUT WHAT IS IT?? Can I buy this a HD? Should we call a plumber or electrician? Should we move back to the city? HELP!!!!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I can't see it based on your description so post pictures.

If there is tubing to the switch, it may be blocked or the fitting it attaches to or the holes the fittings screw into may also be blocked. That causes the switch to not close/open in real time, it lags behind,and whacking it causes it to close and the pump to run, but it will eventually stop working. So clean all that and see what happens.

alison

Reaction score
more info on pump

I saw another post, with picture. The part that we replaced was the pressure switch. The "water guy" suggested that. The tubing, as well as the hole it goes into are clean, water gushes out initally when tube disconnected, then drains.(with water turned off). It works well went it's on, but it's 16 years old. I'm thinking it's near past it's prime? (It almost runs louder than the pool pump!)
The pump says "aeromotor" and has a pipe that comes up out of the ground past a gauge into in it. Can I buy this motor somewhere? Is it just best to get a plumber to fix this?

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Get rid of the water guy and call a pump installer not a plumber. This is what they do. Home depot is not the place to shop for water related items. The reason this pump needs a rap now and then may be the start points not the pressure switch. A new pump wouldn't be totally out of the question.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks