Corrosion Build Up On Top Of Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Jacen

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this forum, but I was wondering can you guys help me with a problem. I have this Water heater thats 4 years old. And I just noticed lately that a lot of corrosion has built up on top of the the water heater. The corrosion is like rusty flaky. I did notice that there was a very small leak on one of the pipes, but I don't know if this could have caused all this corrosion. The corrosion is on both sides of the inlet and outlet. What do you guys think I should do. Is it bad enough that the whole tank needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance guys,

Jacen

IMG_0009Small.jpg

IMG_0012Small.jpg

IMG_0030Small.jpg

IMG_0313Small.jpg

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Pig slop thread does need some TLC...

Get a plumber out there to repipe that job. If a plumber originally did that make sure they are not the same one you call.

Some problems are worthwhile to pursue as DIY. Others require the skill that only a plumber has from years of experience. It will be worth your time and expense, trust me.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Wow.. there is so much wrong there. I would follow kingsotall advice. Whom ever did that job either did not know how to do it properly or did not care.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rust is caused by moisture over a period of time. My guess is poor soldering done by a hack. The "hack" theory is furthered by the use of gate valves instead of ball valves. If this was a 30 year old installation, I would understand the gate valves, but certainly not on a 4 year old install.

Jacen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys gonna call someone monday to come take a look, do you guys think the corrosion is bad enough that I need to have the tank replaced? BTW anyone know any good plumbers near Chicago?

Thanks,

Jacen

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

You are 40 years too late, because that is when I was there. IT is definitely a DIY job with copper connected directly to the water heater, reinforced by the fact that it is a Home Depot heater, but there was definitely some major leakage at one time to cause that amount of rusting. WHether the tank itself has been compromised is impossible to tell without removing the jacket, but chances are good that there has been at least some damage. The tank is glass lined to protect against corrosion from the inside, but because it is a black steel tank, it will rust very easily on the outside.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Thanks for all the advice guys gonna call someone monday to come take a look, do you guys think the corrosion is bad enough that I need to have the tank replaced? BTW anyone know any good plumbers near Chicago?

Thanks,

Jacen

OK, now that we know you live in Chicago, or at least the Chicago area, I can tell you what things are wrong code wise. No dielectric unions or any unions for that matter. The Illinois Code is very clear that a water heater must have unions installed. Also it makes clear that when joining different metals it should be done with a brass fitting or a dielectric union.

Other things I see wrong is the tape used on the vent hood, makes me worry if they secured the vent pipe properly to the draft hood or not. Also the very poor solder job, and the fact they used a strong acid base flux and did not wipe it clean when they where done.

Jacen

Reaction score
thanks for all the input guys, this really helps a lot!! When I had it installed I had a guy I knew do it, he said he was a plumber, but a year later I found out he worked for the gas company :cool: He charged me a arm and a leg too!!!

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
thanks for all the input guys, this really helps a lot!! When I had it installed I had a guy I knew do it, he said he was a plumber, but a year later I found out he worked for the gas company :cool: He charged me a arm and a leg too!!!

It never hurts to ask to see aplumbing license when you hire a plumber.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Corrosion On Heater

I don't think the hack that did that job knows how to spell plumber!! :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks