need advice on gas pressure test

Users who are viewing this thread

lati_cz

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am adding a second bath. I had to relocate few gas pipes. I tried to test it today, I was able to pressure the system only at 2 psi. I found out, the air leaks from vent at gas meter (small round opening). Is the gas meter faulty? What should I do? How many psi should be system tested at? I'd really appreciate help, thanks Michal

3m

Reaction score
Disconnect it where the gas meter is and cap the line and pressurize it to 15 pounds, and let it set for 2 hours at the minimum. Over night is the best test

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas pressure test

Yes call a real licensed plumber before you and your house go ka boom

in the middle of the night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So you put 2 lbs pressure on the meter outlet? You NEED to call the gas company NOW. Whatever you do, do not turn the gas main back on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You NEED to call the gas company NOW. Whatever you do, do not turn the gas main back on.

When a plumber does a static pressure test, the pipe is disconnected from the meter.

This is a case of knowing too little.
NHmaster suggested calling the gas company, that may be a good idea at this point.

I've never heard of anyone trying to pressure test while connected to a meter before.

Sometimes an inspector will allow other methods of testing if you are going to keep the gas connected.
With new installs, they aren't even allowed to connect a gas meter until the pipe has been tested and inspected.

Last edited:

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Just to elaborate on why the others are saying to call the gas company. You may have done serious damage to your meter and or your appliances. While the testing should be done at high pressure (15 PSI +) the regulators and appliances are designed to see 1/2 PSI. You have probably ruptured a diagram or jammed a piston in side your meter.

The "vent" you had bubbles out of is a reference to atmospheric pressure. It should NEVER have gas or air coming out of it. The meter is also a pressure reducing valve. If that is damaged appliances not build to take the very high pressure of the main pipe in the street could go boom.:eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
meter

THe gas regulator is designed to vent ANY pressure above its setting, that is why it is there. So, your pressurizing the downstream side just simulated a regulator failure and it did what it was supposed to do. Disconnect the meter, cap the pipe, and do the test. The meter is fine and so is the regulator.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas test ! ! !

No no !!!!!!!!!!

You don't know what the pressure "might" have damaged follow the
other plumbers advice !!!!!

Call the gas co. Today ! ! !

More than likely you have ruptured the gas valves on all the appliances
that were connected at the time of your test !!!!!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

The vent is there to PREVENT damage to the meter and system from excessive pressures. You can call, but I have seen this many, many times and there has NEVER been a problem afterwards.

lati_cz

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Lesson learned. Gas comp. came, tested it. The meter is good, the regulator had small leak, they changed it. The guy couldn’t tell if I caused it. The regulator holds up to 60 psi from outside, only 1,5 from inside.
He said it’s common, he said even some contractors pressurize the system without disconnecting the meter… All the appliances were turned off at the time of testing, no damage there. I wish I asked my friend plumber more questions before testing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks