A dumb mistake on my part

Users who are viewing this thread

pjw

Reaction score
I was recently installing a toilet in my house when I became distracted and tigtened a tank bolt a bit too much and heard that little "Tink!!!" that we all hate to hear. My fault entirely, but I do have a question to throw out:

Since bathtubs are made from acrylic (or fibreglass, or whatever), why not toilets? Is there some universal law that they all must be porcelain?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

There have been plastic replacement tanks in the past, notably by Gerberit, and Delta made a plastic one piece toilet years ago, but they were notable for their failures to create a demand.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There have been cheapo toilets that have come and gone that we plastic. Never worked out as being reliable and they had quality problems in general. Here's what you actually did wrong. When you are connecting the tank to the bowl, you should alternate from side to side, just snugging the nut before changing sides. Back and forth several time, erring on too many changes. Sometimes the tank does not end up actually touching the bowl. Just go you feel and always alternate tightening the nuts. On a related topic, when setting the toilet on the wax ring, don't use the flange bolts to pull the toilet down. Use you body weight to mashed the horn into the wax until the skirt is on the floor all around. Then just snug to bolts. The purpose of the flange bolts is just to hold the toilet in place in case of being bumped.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj,
I remember the Delta one-piece plastic toilet.
The showroom where I worked had a red Delta one-piece toilet.

It was so light, it felt more like picking up a beach ball then a toilet.

The year was 1974

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
You may be fine with that "tink." That doesn't necessarily mean you "cracked" the toilet. A rough edge may have just "flattened" out. Ok, I'll knock it off with the "quatation marks."

Also Gary, a poster recently got some :) awesome :) advice from Toto in regards to their tank to bowl gaskets. Soaking them in warm, not hot water mind you, will help you get three points of contact.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gasket

Good luck finding "warm" water in a new house which does not have a stove, or even gas yet. If the gasket needs to be "warmed up" then it is either too thick or too stiff.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj,
The gaskets are fine.
The biggest problem we have is homeowners cracking tanks by tightening too much.

We just push the tank down with hand, and tighten with the other.
Seems easy.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Well, in your neck of the woods I would say leave it on the sidewalk next to the eggs that are frying. Give it two minutes. Same goes for the eggs. :)

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
I always sit on them & wiggle around a bit to seat them

Waht the heck?
Yu sit on the gasket?
nad then wiggle around?

Dude, use your hands.
Yru thinkng with teh wrong part of your brain.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
are you sure what happenned???

Usually when I hear that " tink noise"

it usually means tha tI have tightend down the toilet too much and I have broken either the toilet bolt,

or worse yet I have broke the plastic toilet flange....

and that is when the crying starts....

I have not done that in decades.....

as far as the seal, I always warm them up in the
lavatory in hot water for a few minutes before I set
a toilet..... it makes it all warm and fuzzy and sinks down easy

wooo stash

Reaction score
Toilets are made of Stainless Steel in prison.....I know what you people are thinking~and NO I have never been to prison!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks