Basement bathtub install

Users who are viewing this thread

chukakid

Reaction score
I'm helping with a basement finish and had the following question. Why does the overflow pipe from the tub go straight into the p-trap instead of the tub drain? Reason I ask, is we have rough-in problem with the location of the branch waste line which would go away if we went directly to the p-trap from the drain with a tee to the overflow. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :confused:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
There are two methods of installing a tub drain: a direct drain and an indirect drain method; the indirect drain is the most common method. The direct drain is the method you are hoping to use and it will work fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

1. The conventional connection gives a degree of latitude in the location of the "P" trap.
2. To go directly to the drain requires a different style of drain fitting, called a "toe outlet waste", and it has to be EXACTLY in the correct position when the tub is installed.
3. You cannot use a conventional overflow set up with a tee after the drain and then an elbow up to the overflow. At least not if you EVER intend to be able to snake it when the drain plugs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks