RainBird zone will not turn off!

Users who are viewing this thread

russrb

Reaction score
I turned my sprinkler system on this spring. Now one of my zones will not turn off! :(

I have replaced the solenoid but that has not fixed the problem.

The system is using RainBird parts.

Any ideas on what I can do would be appreciated!

Russ

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

THere are lots of reasons why a valve would not turn off, ranging from debris on the seat, to a torn diaphragm. Each problem has its own diagnosis and cure so you have to do some detective work first. The solenoid is usually not the cause, however.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely dirt in the valve diaphragm or a torn diaphragm. They do wear out. You might find it worth the expense to have lawn sprinkler company come out and rebuild the valves. They can do it in less time than you could find the right parts.

PSLawnService

Reaction score
Rainbird, Toro, Irritrol, Hunter - all have similar problems.
Other posters have addressed the obvious problem - the diaphram.
Another possibility is an obstrution (sand, dirt, ect.) in the small passage between the lower chamber of the valve and the upper chamber. An obstruction would operate to the same extent as your solenoid does - it closes the passage allowing the valve to open and stay open.
Yes, do call your local professional.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks