Parts for Franklin Control Boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a retail source (reasonable) for Franklin Control Box parts? I was getting a good deal thru Roanoke Armature but they no longer stock the parts. Lightning is a real enemy of these boxes and usually I have found that when it gets to the box it takes out the relay coil and maybe one of the reset buttons. I can usually rebuild the box for about 40 bucks which is a whole lot better than buying a new one. Franklin is great in that they give you detailed info on the box cover for testing the components. I try to keep a spare box so I am not out of water until I can get the primary one fixed. I have a surge protector and a lightning protection system on the pumphouse but from what I can figure the lightning comes in on the ground wire from the pole which means even if you have the breaker off you can still see damage. The one thing I need to check is whether the breaker box has a ground rod setup the same way a home panel does. If it dosen't then this may help.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
If there is not a good well supply close, you could try a ac. supply. Sometimes they have the capacitors and relays.(sometimes)
You don't want to get a cap. that is too big or too small.

Sometimes, if lightning strikes too close to the well, it doesn't matter what kind of protection you have. The pump is a goner.
The more grounds there are before the pump, the better. At least the odds will lean in your favor.

Travis

Speedbump

Reaction score
I stock all those parts, Relays (the old potential, not the new one) start caps and run caps of all shapes and sizes. Control boxes of all horsepowers from 1hp on up.

bob...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a retail source (reasonable) for Franklin Control Box parts?

Lightning is a real enemy of these boxes and usually I have found that when it gets to the box it takes out the relay coil and maybe one of the reset buttons.

Franklin is great in that they give you detailed info on the box cover for testing the components.

I have a surge protector and a lightning protection system on the pumphouse but from what I can figure the lightning comes in on the ground wire from the pole which means even if you have the breaker off you can still see damage. The one thing I need to check is whether the breaker box has a ground rod setup the same way a home panel does. If it dosen't then this may help.
If you have photos and schematics and OEM part numbers finding electrically equivalent parts shouldn't be too difficult.

Can you post a diagram of your lightning protection setup?

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Basically after one direct hit to the house and another near hit I had a dedicated lightning protection company come out and install lightning rods with beefy grounding copper cable running down the four corners of my house to individual grounding rods. All of the system is tied together and tested for good grounding. A surge protector was installed also. The same was done to the pumphouse. The surge protector is not an expensive one as they can be as much or more than the control box and one good hit and they are toast. I have paid special attention to grounding as from what I understand this is the key. I have a ground rod farm (6) for my home panel. Living on top of a mountain can sometimes make it difficult to get good grounding. I put these below my drain field figuring the ground will stay moist there. From what I understand poorly grounded panels can actually attract lightning. I set up 4 ground rods around my pumphouse tied together with copper cable about a foot below the surface to intercept any strikes approaching the pumphouse from earth. I have my drop pipe, meter and now pumphouse panel all grounded to ground rods. Maybe the new connection at the panel will help. Before even with the breaker off I can still get a hit coming in on the power pole ground.
I will say one thing about the lightning protection system on my house....it works. I have had lightning hit trees very close to the house (I have seen balls of white fire that will make your butt pucker) and I have never took a hit since it was installed. So much for a peaceful life living on top of the Blue Ridge:eek:. Summer is lightning and winter is ice storms:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks