Made in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I mentioned this, as an aside, in another post so it may not get addressed there. But I am really interested, so I am going to post my question here as well, so it gets the attention it deserves.

As a relative newcomer to the USA (I have lived here three years now), I am beginning to appreciate that the "Made in America" label actually means something for a select few products. This surprised me, because"Made in England" does not really mean much any more, but here there are a few gems that still shine.

For example, my Zoeller sump pump is brilliant. And made in the USA too.

I have Virginia Metalcrafters brassware in my house (the company has now closed) and, again, it is outstanding quality.

Are there any other US-made things for my house that are still available to buy and really good, that I may have overlooked?

No cars, thank you: the US is quite hopeless at making those.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ian,
A good portion of my business is selling American Made products.
I sell a lot of the Toto Ultramax, Soiree, Guinevere toilets made in USA.
Toto has a plant in Georgia near Atlanta.
In the beginning, every Toto I sold was USA made,
But then they became so popular, the Georgia plant could no longer keep up with the demand, even running three shifts.

The Toyota Tundra is engineered and manufactured in the USA.

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I own a Pontiac, i always buy GM and hopefully the next car will be a GM.

But....his statement is not that false, i buy to support the cars made here.

Cookie

Reaction score
These shoes I think are made in America! You could wear these around the house.

The custom shoes -- which aren't endorsed by Microsoft or Nike -- are handmade by Sole Junkie, a California-based artist who specializes in customized sneakers. They are 2,500 dollars, so forget the car and walk! It is better for you and the environment! PLUS, you are supporting a small biz. :)

xboxshoes_300.jpg

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Do not take long odds on that!!

Ya they just closed a truck plant this week, they were making trucks there for 44 years.
Just heard today they were closing about 1000 dealerships and that's just 1/5 of them.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
American made (or mostly American made anyway) have come a long ways in the last 10 years. Before that you couldn't get me to buy an american car with anything less than 8 cylinders. (I also have a slight love affair with Mustangs :))

Now things I would try to buy American:
Tools.

I really can't at this moment think of any other product that I would buy strictly American. Sad to say.

TOTO manufactures many of their products in America

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Just remembered, half of my furniture was Made in USA....

the other half seems to have come over from Malaysia.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My Made in USA Chevy Suburban???
Nope Hecho en Mexico!!!:mad:

My Made in USA Dodge Ramcharger???

My Made in Japan Toyota Camry???
Nope Made in USA!!! :D

Things aren't always what you think...

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score

Half of my last mustang was made in Canada, half of the other half was made in Mexico, half of the other half of half was sourced from Japan and the little bit left of the half of half of another half was made in the USA. It was mostly assembled in the US.
I also think some of the electronics were GM.

:confused:

I just chuckle to myself when some of my aquaintances go off about only buying American.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A year or so ago, I read this book called "A Year without Made in China". A family wrote about their experience. I thought the book was going to tell us HOW to do that. The story it actually told was that you CANNOT. Oh, if you have a cabin in the backwoods and hunt squirrel for food, etc. Maybe. And you would probably find that your ammo was imported!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
A year or so ago, I read this book called "A Year without Made in China". A family wrote about their experience. I thought the book was going to tell us HOW to do that. The story it actually told was that you CANNOT. Oh, if you have a cabin in the backwoods and hunt squirrel for food, etc. Maybe. And you would probably find that your ammo was imported!

America is the worlds pre-eminent producer of ammunition. The only imports I find are Czech and Russian, and good for target practice only. And we produce weapons like Chinese make chopsticks.

I could start a squirrel export business from here, the Chinese obliterated theirs many eons ago. And by the way, Squirrels make a nice meal - tree rats we called them.

Ian, do not forget MAGLITE flashlites and RIDING LAWN MOWERS. America's best.

The last American work boot costs about $169 at Cabela's, and they last me for 5 years of daily use. Funny but the next five pages are import boots all at a higher cost. Americans are just dopes for marketing and low level for the perseverence needed to find and support the many US manufacturers remaining.

Want to see some fine bit of American planning for the next war? Do google earth and look over Hawthorne, Nevada and Walker lake. Great little town, by the way.

Stay out of the dollar stores and you Can do without Chinese products, but there is no good reason to not take advantage of their currency manipulation.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score

Thats for sure! Like that Schramm deep drilling rig that was made 100% in Pennsylvania and poked a 6" hole 2300 feet deep with a tolerance of about 2' into the safehouse of the Chilean miners. Chile has about 30 or 40 of those rigs because they are the worlds best, for the least.

A second Schramm is drilling hole B right now.

Those guys in Chile, 1/2 mile down in a hole are smoking Camels and eating KFC right now because of America's ability to produce heavy machinery at the right price.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks