(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Ground Rod Dryer

Default Ground Rod Dryer

I was building out a basement laundry. The electrical main is grounded to a rod in my basement. The rod sticks up about a foot or so. I'm wondering if there is any issue placind a dryer or washer near it?

I'm only a DIYr but I wouldn't think there would be a problem as long as the ground wire back to the panel is somewhat protected from damage. I wouldn't want an out of balance washer walking around on the ground rod or wire.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

The ground rod is not doing very much so there is no problem in putting things near it. Many times the water pipe entering the house is used for the same purpose so think of it that way.

The thing I have a problem with is the fact that it is a hazard and code violation that it is a foot out of the ground. It should be flush.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Talking

Or at least cut it off with a sawzall and bang on it for a bit to make it look good Um.. not that I or anyone I know has ever done that.

It is code to connect the ground to reed bar installed in the footers, but the wire should be protected from damage, and if its sticking up a foot that sounds dangerous, normally they only leave a few inches sticking up

Yes, it is code to connect to the rebar in the footer. How to you propose he get to it?
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

He or She may already be at it, on one of the previous post he recommended that you pound on or cut the rod, I would prefer the rod be cut just in case it is a reed bar that is incased in the footer and pounding on it with a hammer may break it loose and you loose your ground

OH, you are say this might actually BE the rebar. I see now.

This is not a bad assumption, especially if the house is newer.