PEX Zurn Fittings and Wirsbo Crimps

Users who are viewing this thread

myflatsix

Reaction score
I just bought a laundry list of new plumbing materials from a contractor off Craigslist that bought the materials to do a job that was later cancelled Here's what I have:

1 24 port MANABLOC whole house water distribution manifold
comes with: wrench, deluxe installation kit, mounting bracket, closet mounting cover, 5- safety caps.
1 washer rough in box with stainless steel 1/4 turn valves
12 8" X 1/2" crimp copper stub-out elbows
10 1/2" crimp tees
10 1/2" staight stop 1/4 turn stainless steel valves
10 1/2" barb X 1/2" MPT adapters
10 1/2" barb X 1/2" FPT swivel adapters
100 1/2" stainles steel crimp rings
1 stainless steel crimp ring tool
1000' 1/2" clear pex tubing

All of the brass fittings and tubing are Zurn and the Crimping rings and tool is Wirsbo. My question is: Are these compatible? Thanks

myflatsix

Reaction score
I'm on the road right now. I'll be home on Sat. and see exactly what I have.

North Jersey

Reaction score
You know about the Zurn class action suit, right? The problem (I'm not sure if it has been resolved) had to do with the brass fittings. I believe, at one point, the Chinese manufacturer produced some fittings with too much zinc, which resulted in excessive dezincification. Some folks ended up with major water damage as a result. I think the biggest problem was with the angled pieces. I ended up returning all my Zurn QPEX stuff to Home Depot and getting a Wirsbo expander tool. The faulty fittings were produced several years ago, so Zurn has likely corrected the problem. Whatever the case, I would do some more investigation.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Don't mix and match your PEX plumbing.

You made out nicely with the manabloc kit that you got, and getting the wirsbo expander tool was pretty good as well. But the rest is not worth messing with. I don't feel comfortable using the SS clamp system, although that is totally personal preference. And that pex tubing...if it is wirsbo tubing, which is sounds like it might be, you can't crimp that stuff. Since you are using the manabloc system, you shouldn't even be using fittings in the wall anyways.

myflatsix

Reaction score
Here is the pic I took of the Wirsbo SSC Ratchet Tool:

YjPN8ckUxaY-EtMNKih8tQ

I have the Wirsbo SSC 1/2" but the 3/4" clamps are Zurn Qickclamps. All of the elbows and tees are Zurn and were purchased 4 years ago. From what I've read on this forum I need to dump all Zurn fittings?

The tubing is EuroPex. The guy I bought it all from said that I would need an expander tool to assemble it all. Is that correct or does it depend on what brand of fittings I use?

I plan on using the Manabloc manifold so like Basement_Lurker says, I won't need fittings in the wall unless I need to make a tight turn.

So with the Manabloc manifold, EuroPex tubing, and Wirsbo SSC Ratchet Tool and clamps what brand fittings would you recommend for elbows and valves?

OK?Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
This tool is compatible with the stainless steel clamps, which work with the fittings. The tool should be made in the US, which means that it will last longer than the chinese version. I like the SSC tools because they work with 3/8" - 1" clamps and you don't have to use a Go/No-Go gauge like you do with the copper rings. If you decide to stick with the SSC tool, check out the three-handled SSC tool. It grips onto the SSC with the first click, but it's loose enough to reposition the clamp before you start the crimping. And best of all, it can be used with one hand! The middle handle is used to start the crimp while the two outside handles are spread out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks