(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kitchen sink leaking to outside wall

Hybrid View

Default Kitchen sink leaking to outside wall

Hi Everyone,

I have a strange plumbing problem, was searching the internet for a clue and found this forum. It looked like a nice bunch of folks so I registered.

Here's my problem. My house is about 25 years old. The sink is a porcelain, double basket, with a waste disposal under the left side, and a dishwasher connection.

Earlier today my wife was washing dishes; she had the stopper in the right side, full of water, and the faucet running into the left side for rinsing. After she let the water out of the right side she walked out onto the concrete patio and there was a water puddle on the concrete. The outside wall is stucco, and right down near the concrete there is a little hole where I can just barely see the down pipe from the sink drain.

After coming home from work I was able to recreate the problem by filling the right side with water, run the faucet into the left side, then release the right side into the drain. Then, through the little outside hole, I could see water dripping down from inside the wall. It's not coming from the pipe, at least not in the area of the hole.

I found this web site that talks about an Air Vent on top of the down pipe:
    http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/k...eplace_old.htm
    Scroll about half way down the page to see what I'm talking about.

What I'm wondering is, do you think I might have one of these in the wall, and the water is backing up into the down pipe and coming up out of the Air Vent? I can see this happening if the drain is partially clogged.

I checked all of the plumbing under the sink, it's all dry. I can't think of anything else.

Oh, and by the way, all of the pipes (except for the down pipe from the right sink basket) are PVC.

Anybody have an idea what's going on? I can supply pictures, if that would help, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Fisherman

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

If it's an AAV it should only allow air in and seal itself afterwards. Although they fail quite readily and that is probably why they come threaded! Of course it should not be installed in a wall or any concealed location but hard to tell without actually being there.

A pipe transition is a more likely culprit with an elastomeric gasket joining the two. If it slipped off then the two pipes (PVC to glavanized, etc) would no longer be sealed allowing waste to flow through but rather out.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

The line may have a nail or screw in it to, its hard to say, or a joint that wasnt glued or was but is leaking. They sell a scope camera that you can drill a small hole in the wall and take a look inside but they are expensive and you will probably need to call a plumber to locate the leak or tear the wall open so you can see where its coming from

I suppose that's where this is going, I was just trying to convince myself that's it's just a restricted pipe that could be cured either with a snake or chemicals. Oh well...

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Kitchen sink leaking though outside wall

Quote Originally Posted by jnaas2 View Post
    the line may have a nail or screw in it to, its hard to say, or a joint that wasnt glued or was but is leaking. They sell a scope camera that you can drill a small hole in the wall and take a look inside but they are expensive and you will probably need to call a plumber to locate the leak or tear the wall open so you can see where its coming from
    see the above post;
    there was also a time in calif, when there was a problem with a b s plastic sewer pipe
    but more then likely it's just a screw in pipe, like when you get one in a tire but it does'nt go flat right away, it just taken time for the nail or screw to rust out ! !
    But it only shows up when you run lots of water though pipe puts water out

take a hammer and bust out the stucco around the leak !
    Make a good size hole to expose at least a couple of feet of pipe then take pictures of area and post here then we can tell you how to fix pipe then
    i will tell you how to fix the stucco

macplumb 777 calif. Lic contractor since 1989

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Default leak

I have had many situations where the tee inside the wall has cracked causing the symptoms you describe.

It does indeed sound like a pipe problem inside the wall. Things need to be opened up to find it.